Guess the Grade #537

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jul 20, 2013.

?

1910- NGC Grade?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2013.
  1. Genuine/details

26.7%
  2. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 63

13.3%
  4. 64

46.7%
  5. 65

6.7%
  6. 66

6.7%
  7. 67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1910- NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1910- NGC Oa.JPG 1910- NGC Ob.JPG 1910- NGC Ra.JPG 1910- NGC Rb.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

good to be back to these...MS-66RD

4. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You made it back just in time. Two more rounds and you would have been dropped from the top.

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I bet NGC was harsh even though this is a nice 64/65 coin in terms of hits. Hard to say if those obverse spots were there when it was slabbed. Could be due to some sloppy TPG handling.

7. flathead62

flathead62 Member

8. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

9. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

10. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Something just seems off... I'm going Genuine on this one.

Rickipedia and Clutchy like this.
  11. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

I agree with Pi.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Interesting coin, to put it mildly. I thought it would be genuine corroded and Doug thought it deserved a 67 - yeah, that Doug. There is nothing wrong with the strike and there are very few tiny nicks. Most of the coin has some great luster, but some of it has a sort of haze over it.. The worst of that is the album toning on the reverse so it photographed as though it had the luster. BTW, those gray or blue areas actually have real nice luster and are not corrosion. I have no idea what they thought of the eye appeal. Anyhow, for all of this, NGC said genuine - altered color. I really don't get it. I have no idea how you could alter the color to look like that. Further comment welcomed. If I were to grade it, that is at least a 65+ and probably a 66.

1910- UNC NGC SL.JPG

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Doug said 67 , that must be a 1st . Still have no idea why the tpgs give Altered color to some coins . Though I did think it would lose a couple of points for the obverse spots . Man this is going to hurt my score with 4 off .

15. BadThad

It's an original coin, no doubt about it. They just didn't want it in one of their holders. If the graders have any question about a coin like this, it's automatic details. PCGS is the same way. Thank all the early ATers who passed multitudes through the big 3.

For me, personally, I would give a 65. There's virtually no hits and it's well stuck. My only issues are the right field hit and the (apparently) subdued luster. This coin was most definitely album toned. It's a 1910 so it resided on page one, the most exposed page to the elements. Notice how the reverse toning is a stark contrast to the obverse. It had better protection from elements. You can also see the reverse ring toning, it's well defined. I've seen TONS of Raymond Wayte albums with coins just like this. If you think about the way the pages fall together in one of those albums, this coin makes sense.

I don't care what any TPG says, this is a 100% crack out and keep coin for me. Drop it into an aittite and add it to the collection. I like it, I keep it....let a relative sort it out when I'm dead. :D

Pi man and bahabully like this.
  16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I really do not plan on getting rid of it, but i will keep it in the slab. That is much better protection IMO. BTW, the obverse has real nice luster. It is the reverse that is muted.

17. BadThad

Interesting, none of that obverse luster is showing in the pictures. I can't see a single hint of a spoke.

18. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I just don't see it, but can relate. I had to submit this common date 3 times before it graded, and I know it is nt..... it's been said before, and I agree.. submitting any coin with color can often be a coin flip. 1930-OBV (2).JPG 1930-REV (2).JPG

BadThad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted