Guess the Grade #525

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jun 29, 2013.

?

1931-D PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2013.
  1. Genuine/details

6.3%
  2. 58

12.5%
  3. 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 62

12.5%
  6. 63

50.0%
  7. 64

12.5%
  8. 65

6.3%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1931-D PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1931-D PCGS O.JPG 1931-D PCGS R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Tough coin in MS with any red, I bet they RB'd it. The slight woodgraining, spotting and weak luster bring it down, I'd call it a 64RB myself....NICE COIN!

rzage likes this.
  4. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

63n1

As Badness says, in MS Red it is downright hard to find anywhere.

5. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

PCGS hates woodies , now does this have enough woodgrain to be called a woody ?

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

rzage likes this.
  8. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

This one's all over the place. I said 63.

9. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

MS63 RD error D/D DDR

10. rzage

Dick , is there a way to make the pics larger like the older contests ? Great strike , almost nick free from what I can see . I'd give it a 64 even with the obverse spot , but with PCGS and any coin with color look out . 63 , But a 64 wouldn't surprise me at all and is what the coin deserves .

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am missing something. They are the same size pictures as before. All you have to do is click on them. They do not enlarge with the mouse-over as they used to. Now Peter has the icons very small. Hopefully, he will change that some time in the future. But that is minor compared to all the other things he has done.

12. rzage

That's what I meant , when you clicked on the older pics they enlarged to way oversized so you could try to tell what a mark was . Maybe it's better this way as they are still larger than the tpgs use .

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You are going to have to talk to Peter. I do not follow what you are saying has changed, but everything on my side is identical to what they have been for years. Since 2010 (I think it was 2010, anyway) all my Lincoln pictures have bee 700 X 700.

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Pretty much nick free, but I cannot say it is spot free. Although the blotches are obvious in hand, the spots are not. It has a real nice strike, but not the greatest luster. PCGS balanced all of this to a 63. It is definitely not as nice as a 64 and it would be one heck of a 62, so I guess that leaves it as a 63.

Attached Files:

15. rzage

I think it's my bad writing and communication skills . lol I know everything you are doing is the same . I'll write to Peter in the future as I'm sure he has his hands full with requests now . This is still one of the best threads here and a real asset to the forum for those who want to improve there grading skills . Keep up the great work . :cool:

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

TY

17. rzage

LOL . I just figured it out . That diagonal arrow next to the X in the upper right corner enlarges the pics .

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Well, it takes it to its own window, but it does not enlarge it on my monitor. Anyway, glad to see you are happy!

rzage likes this.
  19. rzage

But I got them both without using the larger pics . Like you taught us they are overkill anyways . I just like them to help me figure out if a mark is on the coin or slab , or something similar like polish lines or scratches .

Draft saved Draft deleted