Guess the grade # 5

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mark T, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Mark T

Mark T Junior Member

Seeing that my last guess the grade post received some controversy I thought I would put a small twist on this one .

The top picture is from PCGS and obviously professionally done.
    The bottom picture is mine that was taken before I read Mark Goodman’s book :D

What would you grade the coin from each image ??

Once again this is a CAC certified coin .

I expect people who are familiar with Bust Halves to come up with a toss up between 2 grades , people not familiar with Bust Half’s should be all over the map grading this coin.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

AU58 -
    Very nice coin, and I wouldn't doubt that PCGS called the discolored "wear" spots, cabinet rub, and bumped it to MS.

Speedy

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Before I even mention a grade I'll say that IMO the TPGs pretty much over-grade every circ Bust half there is - and always have. Rarely have I ever agreed with a grade assigned by a TPG on one of these.

That said, I'd call it AU50.

5. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

I will guess that PCGS graded that AU50 bust half as MS62 or 3.

6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's the same coin in both pics Duke.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I don't collect CBH's and have very little experience grading them so I will just apply my general grading knowledge and see how it works out. There is friction on both the high points and in the fields. There is no way this coin can be bumped to MS using cabinet friction or weak strike as an excuse. The coin is definitely AU so it really comes down to how much luster remains. To my eye the luster is about 75% full which would yield a grade of AU55.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I will also go with AU-55.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Yea I knew that but I thought he wanted an individual guess from each picture individually. So I did :D

"What would you grade the coin from each image ??"
    The above was from the origina post.

11. Mark T

Mark T Junior Member

GDJ and Se I wont post the grade right now but why would you grade this Bust AU 50 ?

12. Duke Kavanaugh

I can the TPG'ers grading it a 63 though.

13. sunflower

sunflower New Member

MS60 top,
    MS63 bottom, (the one you photographed appeared to have sharper die impression).

(FYI: just learning, from a new grader).

14. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Another series I don't know :D. My guess is PCGS gave it a 63. Nice coin Mark.

15. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I'm terrible at grading these coins, but will guess MS 63...>Mike

17. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Wear and luster.

18. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'm waffling between AU-55 and AU-58, that being said, I usually go more conservative when waffling so I'll have to say AU-55, nice bust by the way what is the Overton on it?

19. Mark T

Mark T Junior Member

Overton 109 .

20. Mark T

Mark T Junior Member

Lets forget about the Luster, there is plenty under that light brown tone and focus on where you see wear. I will assume you are familiar with this series and are taking into consideration that this series of coin is know for soft strikes on certain area’s of the coin and that the 1834 is know to have certain issues which this coin may or may not have .
    So where do you see wear ? Don’t forget to click your heels and say it three times , ok in your case you don’t wear heels or at least I hope you don’t :D:D:D

21. fishfinder

fishfinder Junior Member

The slight rub not allowed on MS63 limits this grade to 62 so that is what it received. Everything else about this coin is outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted