Guess the grade #495

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Apr 3, 2013.

?

1925-D PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Apr 10, 2013.
  1. 53

6.3%
  2. 55

18.8%
  3. 58

25.0%
  4. 60

6.3%
  5. 61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 62

12.5%
  7. 63

31.3%
  8. 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1925-D PCGS slabbed

I will save you the trouble. It was graded.

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1925-D PCGS O.JPG 1925-D PCGS R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

i'll bite, au-58

4. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

5. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Sweet coin!

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

8. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm stuck between a 63 or a 58 , man I love woodies but sure can't grade them . lol

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

This coin has a lot going on, but one of them is not wear. I see no evidence of wear. The obverse color really looks like it has been cleaned, but it has luster. I can explain that because of the improper composition. The black spots on the shoulder are the result of the alloy mix also or at least they tend to follow the grain like an alloy mix. The strike on the reverse is nice, but the obverse leaves a bit to be desired. This should not affect the grade at this level. Oh, and that mark on the forehead is a scratch, but very hard to see in hand. Put all of this together with the wood grain and I am really surprised PCGS even graded it. I guess if all my assumptions are correct, it is a gradable coin and PCGS's 62 is certainly reasonable knowing their dislike of color variations.

1925-D 62 PCGS SL.JPG

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I was thinking of 62 , just because how much PCGS hates woodies , still I couldn't see any wear on the obverse , but the left wheat talks had me a little worried , but figured correctly why would the left wear and the right didn't . Still not bad for me on a woody . only off by 1 high . I knew I should have lowered it another grade . Dick what do you think NGC would have given this coin ?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Something that wild, I would just be guessing, but I see no reason they would have graded it any different.

Draft saved Draft deleted