Guess the grade #473

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Feb 13, 2013.

?

1910-s PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2013.
  1. 62 BROWN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 62 RED/BROWN

5.6%
  3. 63 BROWN

5.6%
  4. 63 RED/BROWN

50.0%
  5. 64 BROWN

5.6%
  6. 64 RED/BROWN

27.8%
  7. 65 BROWN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 65 RED/BROWN

5.6%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

NOTE: This Saturday's answers will probably be late, the scores won't come until Monday and no new round until Wednesday.. I will be in Fort Worth again.

These two in hand are about as identical as I have ever seen The pictures show more of a difference than there is in hand. I have not figured how I will score these as to the color yet, but I thought it might be interesting to comparatively grade these.

1910-S PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1910-S PCGS O.JPG 1910-S PCGS Oa.JPG 1910-S PCGS R.JPG 1910-S PCGS Ra.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

4. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-63BN (I like that the color now is a factor :D )

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am still not sure it will be. I have to figure out how to score it - and not necessarily how I would score it, but how I can fit it into my program.

6. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I'm not sure if I do or not, LOL, I'll let you know on Saturday!

7. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Wow, I went WAYYY off board here ... MS-65RB. I really can't see the wear through the haze/wood-grain. I'm sticking to it. But then again, this is what did PCGS grade it and I always forget that.

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Even nicer woody than the other one! I think I can see a bit more luster on this but PCGS hates wood.

9. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Another 63 RB for me... although a 64 RB wouldn't surprise me.

10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

63RB for me too. A lovely coin indeed.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Whoa a woody , tough to figure a color for them . RB . :)

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

13. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

63 red/brown

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Scoring - you get 1 point per grade you missed the correct grade by + 0.5 point if you got the color wrong

In hand;
    It is close, but my guess is the NGC has more red although the PCGS has a more typical red cent color (but it is not as pronounced as my pictures show it)..
    Both have a good strike and are nearly identical.
    The NGC has a nick over ONE and a couple very tiny other nicks. The PCGS has some tiny nicks on the cheek and one on the shoulder. That sounds about even to me.
    The NGC has several very tiny spots on the obverse, but they blend well into the grain. The PCGS several blotches that do not quite blend into the grain but they are not the black obvious types.
    Neither coin has screaming luster, but both descent luster. However, NGC has better luster on the obverse and PCGS has better on the reverse.

Personally, I would give them both 64RB, but neither got that grade. The PCGS only got a 63, but they did say RB. NGC got the 64, but they called it brown.

1910-S PCGS 63 SL.JPG

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Dang I forgot this one was PCGS when I voted , I knew right after I voted I probably was wrong when I saw the PCGS . well got the RB right on this one but went RB on the other . I like woodies but not grading them .

16. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

what the blank was I thinking here. :headbang::desk::computer:

Draft saved Draft deleted