Guess the grade #45

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Aug 5, 2010.

?

1953-D NGC Grade?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2010.
  1. 63

13.0%
  2. 64

13.0%
  3. 65

17.4%
  4. 66

52.2%
  5. 67

4.3%
  6. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1953-D NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

5. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

guessing the luster on this just glows....67

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

64+2=ms66 rd

7. Very nice coin...MS66. TC

8. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guys - somebody needs to explain to me how you can think this coin is worthy of a 66 with that large scrape mark on it just inside the rim - see below.

Yeah, I know. You're supposed to be guessing what the TPG said. But it just boggles my mind !

Attached Files:

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I surprise myself and saw what you mentioned before I picked a grade. And Yes I picked 66 because this is not in a prime focal area and it was missed. At the same time I don't know what caused it or if it just might be the picture. With holders it makes seeing rims tough and sometimes I think tpg's let things slide around rims. I know on large cents you can sometimes see rim bumps. In all honesty - sometimes I am not sure what I would see on these coins with them in hand. The pictures make the hits look so bad on cents.

11. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Come on Doug, you know the TPG's grade on luster and ignore hits like that at the gem levels. If the coin is blazing with cartwheel luster, they simply do not care if there's hits. There's no time to actually grade a coin at the TPG's, what is it, like 7 seconds each grader spends on each coin? They check the luster and assign a grade.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not sure just which mark you are calling "that large scrape". With my uncertified grading eye in hand without a loupe, I see absolutely nothing there - any light any angle. Not saying that my eyes are great, but my eye doctor tells me I can see better than he can.

Using a loupe, on my drawing, #1 is from the die (crack or scratch), #2 I suspect is a planchet flaw, but could be a nick, and #3 is a planchet flaw I believe.

Attached Files:

13. GDJMSP

Here it is using your original picture, no enlarging. What I am talking about is in between the 2 red lines. Now I don't what else to call that but a scrape.

edit - well that 1st attachment didn't work worth a hoot, try this one

Attached Files:

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

A scrape to me means that something has rubbed / abraded the coin. Nothing has "scraped" the coin there - for sure positive. That did not happen post minting. My best guess is that was some grease remaining on the die.

15. GDJMSP

Well the only thing I know of that makes bright copper out of toned copper is a scrape or post strike contact. You can even see the scratch lines between the letters and the rim and contact marks on the letters around that area.

I don't know what you see but that's what I see.

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is just it - it is not brighter. That is just the angle the light is hitting and only that. The "the scratch lines" you are seeing are either metal flow lines or what the surface of the grease looked like. Usually, in our discussions like this, there are possibilities of this or that. In this case, I rate that as ZERO possibility of that being a scratch. Not even almost zero.

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I suspect that's die crumbling. There's no way something got "lower" than the rim and scraped the fields (which are protected by the rims and lettering).

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

p.s. 66 -- think the luster is 67 worthy, but the hits on the obverse limit the grade.

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

[​IMG]

20. GDJMSP

I'm not suggesting its a scratch Dick, it looks like a scrape to me, or as you called it, an abrasion. Like something with a rough surface rubbed that surface of the coin right there.

21. GDJMSP

Never heard of counting machine damage, or rolling machine damage huh ? And I suppose that it is just pure coincidence that the contact marks on the O in ONE, those on the PLURI and B, as well as those in the field between the two sets of letters, just happen to be right in the same area ??

Gimme a break Mike. You're reaching again. You are making excuses for the TPG screwing up. Now they may well have made the excuses as you. But I believe both of you are wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted