Guess the grade #415

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Sep 5, 2012.

?

1952-D NGC Grade?

Poll closed Sep 12, 2012.
  1. Genuine/details

6.7%
  2. 62

6.7%
  3. 63

13.3%
  4. 64

6.7%
  5. 65

13.3%
  6. 66

33.3%
  7. 67

20.0%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1952-D NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1952-D NGC b O.JPG 1952-D NGC b R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I can't decide if those scratches on the obverse would put it in a details slab. i'll go with 62

4. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

5. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-67RD (I am going to assume that the spot below the "C" on the reverse was not there when it was slabbed)

6. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

ms65rd - those lines on the obverse shouldn't detract from the grade since they are die polishing lines, correct?

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You got it!

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

66rd
    Thought about 65 as of the hits on the face but stayed 66

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Dick , the scratch across United is on the slab , correct ?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

For sure!

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

12. rzage

If the scratches you're talking about are the ones in the field , they are raised die lines from polishing the dies , thus won't or shouldn't affect the grade . I went 66 .

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Most of what you see on the obverse are die polish marks which really are not so visible in hand. Outside of that, it has a nice full strike great luster and minimal nicks. That sounds like a 67, but there are those spot on the reverse. They are not big enough to be a major problem. but they are noticeable. NGC wound up at 66 and I think that is about right.

1952-D NGC 66b SL.JPG

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I thought the luster would carry it. The reverse spot is tricky, it may not have been there at grading. It could have even been introduced during slabbing. Is that a little tick above and to the right of the O in ONE? It's a little outside the normal area for planchet marks. I assumed the little hit below the NT in CENT was on the slab. Field hits really hurt a gem coin grade.

15. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

It effects eye apeal, no? And that is a grading factor, no? just wondering

16. rzage

From what I've learned here , is they don't affect the grade . Dick could answer it better as he's seen more and knows more about grading Lincolns and grading in general .

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am sure they do to some extent, but definitely not much. The first problem is that they only shine like that in a picture. You see them in hand (with a loupe), but they are closer to a matte surface than a glaring distractions they appear to be in a picture. Maybe a close approximation would be on the old silver/gold coins with weight adjustment marks. They would literally scratch off some metal (at the mint) to put the weight in spec. There can be several scratches, but they still get high grades.

Draft saved Draft deleted