Guess the grade #401

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jul 25, 2012.

?

1953-S NGC Grade?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2012.
  1. Genuine/details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 63

5.0%
  4. 64

15.0%
  5. 65

10.0%
  6. 66

45.0%
  7. 67

25.0%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1953-S NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1953-S NGC b O.JPG 1953-S NGC b R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-67RD, interesting lines on Lincoln's forehead

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Another nice one!

5. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

6. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

7. FlipOfACoin

FlipOfACoin New Member

8. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

9. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

ms-64, those scratches on the forehead detract imo, which has been very wrong

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That coin looks like a 67 to me.

It might be a 66 if it was graded recently and the coin has mellowed a bit (as it appears to have in the photo) and muting the luster a touch.

Setting that aside, I graded it 67.

11. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

66 coin with full mint luster. It could be a 67, but i see a couple of nicks. 66 please.

12. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

The forehead is really bothering me. I see this as a 67 coin if this area didn't jump out like a sore thumb.

Hey Dick, Is any of the forehead die-cracks, die-scratches or are they hits? Can we ask that?

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I think most of that is the idea here, but I will say both. Now you can figure out which is what.

14. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I thought it was a mix. Nice interesting coin!

15. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

66 Reverse (weaker strike in wheat and messy around the O in One. If NGC agrees with me, 67 Obv. Obv. should carry the coin, but then there are the die scratches with one kinda nasty hit. Voting 66.

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

17. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Im going out on a limb here and saying its a 63 red. I just dont like the reverse. I do like the lines on Lincoln's forehead.

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I probably should of went 67 here , but been getting killed on the extra point , so 66R .

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry if I misled you, but the more I look at Abe's forehead, the less I think there is a nick on it. First, the "nick" (lowest, closest to the ear) looks more like a planchet flaw than a nick. Second, that die crack to the right of it actually continues dead on the top edge I think for its entire length. All the rest are definitely die cracks. Regardless, without a loupe, they (all of them) just are not there. Really, the only distraction you can make out is a weak O in ONE and some not so noticeable toning marks. Luster is nice and strike (outside of the O) is really pretty good. I am not sure whether I would go 66 or 67 with this one, but NGC thought it was a good day and gave it a 67.

1953-S NGC 67b SL.JPG

20. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Oh wow, did I ever over analyze this one. Only looking at the photo above, it looks like a definate 67. Really cool coin though.

Draft saved Draft deleted