Guess the grade #286

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Nov 9, 2011.

?

1934- NGC Grade?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2011.
  1. Genuine/details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 63

4.3%
  4. 64

4.3%
  5. 65

17.4%
  6. 66

43.5%
  7. 67

30.4%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1934- NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1934- NGC a O.JPG 1934- NGC a R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

MS67 RD. Can easily be a 66 though.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I am really split between 66 and 67, but my first reaction upon seeing the coin was 66, so that's what I'm going with.

5. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

I am in the same boat as leadfoot. I believe that due to it's luster it was given a 66 or else it could have easily been a 67

6. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Are we looking at the same coin? That's a 65 all the way.

7. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-67RD...very close to a 66though

8. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Would you like to wager? :)

10. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I'll take some of that also.

11. justanotherface

justanotherface New and All Excited

12. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I guess it is a matter of opinion. If I worked for PCGS I would grade MS-65. Here is a link to a 34 MS-65RD. Just compare the two. The one above has the two nicks on the obverse, and slight blemishes on the reverse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Lincoln-Wheat-Cent-Penny-PCGS-MS-65-RD-Red-/200600183309 (Slabbed 1934 ms-65RD)

~Ana grading standards 6th eddition
    [MS-65] - "No trace of wear; nearly as perfect as MS-67 except for some small blemish. Has full mint luster but may be unevenly toned or lightly fingermarked. A few minor nicks or marks may be present."

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I think you need to look at the size of the pictures. Lots of things show up in larger pictures or are hidden by the smaller pictures. However, even on his smaller pictures, I can see several "blemishes".

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Jump in and play the game with us if you're so confident. :) Once you're ranked in the top 5 we'll show respect to your opinions. :D In the mean time, this coin is a 67 in my eyes.

15. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Hey fair enough. I would just like to note that I started collecting lincoln cents back in 1989.

16. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Yeah, you can't grade by that picture. no way... to me it looks like something is going on at the reverse 6o'clock... looks like it could be significant. Obverse appears very nice, but can't say for sure given the pics.
    Most often with 65's.. the ana standard is in full effect. ie. the coin DOES HAVE some of this "... unevenly toned or lightly fingermarked. A few minor nicks or marks may be present.." I don't see any of this on this 34, at least not to any significant degree... It's 66 on a fair day, with 49% chance of 67..... guess we'll see soon enough.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Interesting, but I don't even need to look at the larger pictures to see the nicks by Abe's chin and another on his shoulder.

18. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I sill have a lot to learn. Sorry for comming across as obnoxious. Love the coin though. Found a 24-D in an unsearched roll last night.

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The biggest reason I do this is for people to learn. You also learn by discussing. BTW, where do you get your "unsearched" rolls?

20. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

When my Grandpa passed away, I inherited a small portion of his coin collection. There are a few backpacks of rolls that he picked up back in the 50's. Matter a fact today I was searching through some merc dime rolls, and found a 42 2 over 1. There are so many rolls of wheat pennies and Indian cents, I just haven't gotten around to them yet.

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

From the sounds of things, those are not unsearched rolls, but the exact opposite. They are where the searcher put what he was searching for. I probably searched through several thousand dollars of dimes when the Mercuries were the most common dime in circulation, but never managed to find one of them (nor a 16-D).

Draft saved Draft deleted