Guess the grade #258

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Aug 20, 2011.

?

2010-D NGC Grade?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2011.
  1. Genuine/details

4.8%
  2. 62

14.3%
  3. 63

14.3%
  4. 64

19.0%
  5. 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 66

19.0%
  7. 67

19.0%
  8. 68

9.5%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

2010-D NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

I will be tied up next weekend, so I will not end this round until Wednesday the 30th.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

64 what's with the rim?

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

OK! I will bite. What are you talking about? There are a couple small nicks. It that it?

5. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

63, only because it does look like some damage on the rim.

6. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

There are like 7 bites. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice coin! Just wondering why on such a new coin there would be bites like that.

7. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

62....gruesome rim nicks and hits, and a nasty rub on Lincolns head.

8. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

oh wow .not a wheaty :( .MS-67 RD (i guess...)

9. BullseyeBullion

BullseyeBullion New Member

Looks like som dings on the reverse shield and above. Decent luster but a little spotty. MS 64 RD

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Horrible strike, weakness on both sides....I would have never paid to have that graded. On my scale I would have 65'd that coin, but NGC can be stupid so I bumped it.

11. 5dollarEdunote

You're the expert, not me, but how could that coin be 65? There are so many hits and rim nicks...

12. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Oh man,,, a curve, screw, knuckleball all in one !! Those moderns can get wildly variable grades, with a bias on the high side from what I have seen. I do see a nick here and there on this coin, so will assume it didn't grade out of the box high,, but from what I have seen given to these guys I have to call a +1. I'd call it a 67... so will play the max here.

13. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

Someone needs to vote 65 so we can have all of our bases covered here. :yes:

14. BadThad

These are not like wheat cents, they generally grade higher....it's a different scale altogether for the TPG's.

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The rim nicks pretty much do not show in hand. (See also http://www.cointalk.com/t190680/) However, the nicks at E PLURIBUS probably make up for it. The spotting is much more obvious in the pictures than in hand. Great luster and strike. I have no idea how NGC balances luster and nicks/spotting, but apparently luster trumped all for this coin. They gave it a 66. My guess is that I would have called it a 65, but they don pay me for that.

Attached Files:

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

We lost Animosity. Pretty much the only changes were that everyone shifted up a spot. Now that Leadfoot is back in the leqad, any guesses how long he can keep it?

Top 10. Columns are rank, name, average, and number of guesses.
    1. Leadfoot 0.395 40
    2. ldhair 0.429 23
    3. mark_h 0.458 50
    4. rzage 0.464 30
    5. Duke Kavanaugh 0.478 25
    6. BadThad 0.512 45
    7. ericgo 0.526 21
    8. bahabully 0.535 45
    9. ddoomm1 0.593 29
    10. jcakcoin 0.595 44

18. BadThad

Yea, I had a feeling on this coin....they bump the moderns a lot because they're bright and shinny. LOL Lots of weakness in the strike, the design high points are not fully brought up. In my eyes, this coin is a 64/65....that's how I grade them. I have one I graded a 68, very well struck, nick-free, not many water spots..... they'd probably call it a 64. hahahahahaha

19. BadThad

HA! Thanks for putting this coin in the mix, lots of guess all over the place and it appears to have helped me! :)

20. 5dollarEdunote

I just lost some faith in TPGs =(

Draft saved Draft deleted