Guess the grade #25

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jul 11, 2010.

?

1919-S NGC Grade?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2010.
  1. 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 61

9.7%
  3. 62

9.7%
  4. 63

16.1%
  5. 64

41.9%
  6. 65

22.6%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1919-S NGC slabbed (white spots are on the slab)

This round should give some interesting results.

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm with TC. MS 64.....

5. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I'm probably wrong, but I can't be as optimistic as the others so far in the grading of this one. .... oh well... I think I have another throw away coming up soon.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

7. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I'll go to the top of the ladder...65

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Might be the pics I guess but that one looks to have been worked on a bit at 6 o'clock on the rev. Like somebody was trying to make some spots disappear.

I know it's not an option but I'd say no grade - altered surfaces.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have no idea how you are seeing that, but, yes, there is something there. I really doubt it is altered surfaces. From what I can make out, the horizontal part of the rim is tapered in a bit, but the inside curve to the field appears to be raised. To me that says it is likely a die problem or possibly a planchet flaw. FWIW, this is the third TPG this has been to and none mentioned altered surfaces.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Magic ;)

11. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

that is why we appointed himt o the royal court but he started doing tricks instead so we locked him up :D

13. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

I really want to say it's a 63 however I think it's graded a 64.

14. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Would be interesting to know what the other two tpg's had this graded as before it landed in it's current slab..... I could see AU58 and up.... my gut tells me that most of the folks are near this one around 64, or maybe even 65...... but I'm a believer in strike as a requisite of 65, and even 64... that is "full strike",,, where I think this one exibits obvious lack of strike on portions of the design..... so I'm in the 63 bucket on this one... low I'm sure, but an interesting topic for further conversation within the thread upon completion of grade inputs.
    Q. - at what level of the MS range does full strike become an absolute requisite.... I remember seeing in pcgs grading guidelines that it comes in around 64 or 65'ish..... but have seen incomplete strikes in those ranges in pcgs holders before...... kinda makes ya wonder what they really use, huh ?.... I think some days a magic 8 ball,,, give er' a shake and viola, congratulations contestant #145,798.. M8B says MS65 ; )

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Your memory is off a bit. PCGS doesn't require full strike until MS-67!

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Your memory is off a bit. PCGS doesn't require full strike until MS-67!

Sorry for the double post but it is telling me I am not posting even though they are apparently going through.

17. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I guess it's how you read it...
    Here's what I have from the pcgs site:
    Note that 64 and above are noted as having good or above average strike.... I dont' think this one has an good or above average strike as some detail is missing....
    I'd call the strike not full,, or close to average.. which should translate to a 63 per pcgs grading guidelines below.....

MS/PR-60
    No wear. May have many heavy marks/hairlines, strike may not be full
    MS/PR-61
    No wear. Multiple heavy marks/hairlines, strike may not be full
    MS/PR-62
    No wear. Slightly less marks/hairlines, strike may not be full
    MS/PR-62+
    No wear. Still slightly above number of marks/hairlines, strike may not be full. Attractive eye appeal for grade.
    MS/PR-63
    Moderate number/size marks/hairlines, strike may not be full
    MS/PR-63+
    Average number of marks/hairlines, strike will be close to average. Good eye appeal for grade.
    MS/PR-64
    Few marks/hairlines or a couple of severe ones, strike should be average or above
    MS/PR-64+
    Very few marks/hairlines or a couple of heavier ones, strike should be average or above. Superior eye appeal.
    MS/PR-65
    Minor marks/hairlines though none in focal areas, above average strike
    MS/PR-65+
    Very minor marks/hairlines though none in focal areas, above average strike and eye appeal
    MS/PR-66
    Few minor marks/hairlines not in focal areas, good strike
    MS/PR-66+
    Very few minor marks/hairlines not in focal areas, very good strike with superior eye appeal
    MS/PR-67
    Virtually as struck with minor imperfections, very well struck
    MS/PR-67+
    Virtually as struck with very minor imperfections, very well struck with attractive eye appeal
    MS/PR-68
    Virtually as struck with slight imperfections, slightest weakness of strike allowed
    MS/PR-68+
    Virtually as struck with very slight imperfections, the strike must be virtually full. Eye appeal must be very good.
    MS/PR-69
    Virtually as struck with minuscule imperfections, near full strike necessary
    MS/PR-70
    As struck, with full strike

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

By you definitions, it is only required for MS-70.
    I cannot find it now, but I have posted a 1935-S MS-65 RD. It has nearly no wheat lines, no beard, etc. Considerably weaker strike that this ever dreamt of being and yet it is a 65.

19. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Guess it's how pcgs interprets thier strike descriptors vs. how we (or I) intrepret them:
    1 - "not full" MS60 to MS63.... I'd call this coin not full...ie.- coins with obvious flat area's.... thereby limiting my grade to max 63.
    2 - "average" MS63 to MS64.... I'd assume an average strike had near full detail, with some low points here and there, but no significant flat areas.
    3 - "above average" MS64 to MS65... I'd see this as full detail... no flat areas at all, but maybe low points in the visibile detail... almost not notable to the naked eye.
    4 - "good strike to very good strike" MS66... full detail period. nothing visible to the naked eye... maybe a few low points notable under 5-10x
    5 - "very well struck to full strike" MS67 to MS70.... I can't really tell the difference between strikes in this range....... between the perfect strike to the naked eye and eye appeal,, the coin should make you say "wow"

I've seen exceptions to my intreptation of these pcgs descriptions myself... I have a MS65 33 with some slight flatness on the same part of the reverse,, not nearly as bad, but visible to the naked eye. Also have a 25D that's nearly as flat as a pancake in MS63... details on it wouldn't get past a VG10.....

PCGS should describe thier descriptors... lol....

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't care how you interpret it, 69 does not require a full strike. "near full" is not full. Period.
    BTW, for a branch mint during the teens, this is not a bad strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted