Guess the grade #219

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jun 11, 2011.

?

1929-D PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2011.
  1. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 63

11.8%
  3. 64

29.4%
  4. 65

41.2%
  5. 66

11.8%
  6. 67

5.9%
  7. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1929-D PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Only thing bothering me on this one is the chatter in the neighborhood of "1929". That reverse seems flawless to me. I went with '65......

4. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

5. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

65 RD with the slight chance of being 66

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Some strike issues on the reverse (thanks Denver), obverse right field spot(s) and I'm not sure what's going on by the date.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Tough coin in 65.

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Terrible eye appeal in my opinion. The splotchy toning of the obverse and the ghosting on the reverse take away any better qualities that coin may have.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

ditto all is not lost yet

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

13. indycoinxchange

indycoinxchange New Member

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't know about this one. It is very well struck. The only sign of "weakness" would be the right wheats. That appear to be only one blob where the die was filled (grease?) Luster is great and marks are almost nonexistent. Yes, there is a bit of ghosting on the reverse, but not as obvious as the picture makes it appear. And the obverse is 2 colored. Maybe Doug is correct when he says "Terrible eye appeal in my opinion". However, this is one of the very few coins he has actually guessed as high as it graded. If I were guessing, I would have said 65, but PCGS said 64.

Attached Files:

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Whoa....harsh grade IMO. I didn't notice the two different colors on the obverse at first, I thought that was a lighting issue. Combine that with the obverse field spot, the reverse motto weakness and the right stalk, I guess I can understand. However, what happened to market grading? Those are typical traits for the issue. These are tough in red!

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I agree that is a harsh grade. And no offense, but you can't exactly base eye appeal off your pictures(better than mine, but not as good as others). At least I can't. Still I think the coin is better than 64 and will stick with my grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted