Guess the grade #203

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, May 4, 2011.

?

1916-S NGC Grade?

Poll closed May 11, 2011.
  1. 55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 58

25.0%
  3. 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 61

8.3%
  5. 62

16.7%
  6. 63

50.0%
  7. 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1916-S NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

MS62 BN. Couldn't decide between 58 and 62, but I took a guess

4. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Agree jcak, but I'm going the other way because of cleaning.

MS-58

5. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

AU63, and probably in need of a little professional conservation to remove traces of verdigris.

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Little obv bag rub, but looks MS to me.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Photo looks similar to the one that RLM threw out because we all undergraded it -- i.e. the photo appears overexposed suggesting a much darker coin in-hand.

That said, there appears to me to be clear high-point rub but no significant field rub -- which screams 63 or 62 rather than an AU grade, to me. Rims are also far too clean for an AU grade, and even suggest a grade higher than 63. However, I'm going with 63 BN.

8. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Would generally agree, but just ONE rub turns any MS to AU with no rim contact needed.

9. Leadfoot

According to whom?

Certainly not today's TPGs, who generally require field rub (not to be confused with high-point rub) to be present to give an AU grade. And generally when there's field rub you have rim ticks. Not always, but almost.

ANA grading is another story.

Respectfully...Mike

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

FWIW, I did not throw it out because you "all undergraded it". I threw it out because they really were bad pictures and the coin really was darker in hand.

11. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Since you're on a forum with numismatists discussing grade, I don't think you have to distinguish HIGH-POINT vs FIELD. Especially with some that is already discussing rubs, MS, AU and commenting on your quote directly referring to high-points and your opinion of the field lacking rubs. Unless of course you're trying hype yourself or get a kick out of thinking others are ignorant.

As TPG's will differ, so will our opinions and I still respectfully disagree.

12. Leadfoot

I distinguished between rub types because you did not, and I think it is relevant to the discussion because many collectors don't know or don't otherwise make the distinction -- a distinction that I believe is critical to distinguish between AU and MS grades. I am not trying to "hype myself" or getting "a kick out of thinking others are ignorant", and I am sorry if that is the impression you got as it was not at all my intent. My intent was simply to foster discussion on the topic and share my own experience, FWIW.

You are, of course, free to disagree about how TPGs distinguish between the two types of rub when assigning AU/MS grades (and/or the presence of hits on the rims) -- that's what this forum is for as far as I'm concerned! :)

However, if you do, please do me a favor and show me an AU coin with only high point rub in TPG plastic -- I think you will be challenged to find one, because it has been my experience that they are in MS graded holders the vast majority of the time.

Take care...Mike

p.s. thanks for the clarification, RLM.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Look,s in the A/U range

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Those who missed this round (and there were a lot of them) moved up in the ranking. Just to show you that I did not omit that 28-D because no one got it right, I am counting this one and yet no one got it right. This coin does not have just minimal mark, the only one I see is on the right wheats. It is nearly a complete strike. Abe's beard is almost complete. There is some luster there, but not its strong suit. NGC called this a 64 and I think I agree.

BTW, what the picture appears to show as wear, I think I can make out in hand, but I see no luster break.

Attached Files:

16. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

WoW was I off!

Draft saved Draft deleted