Guess the grade--2001 PCGS American Silver Eagle

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Nov 30, 2008.

?

Guess the Grade

1. MS70

5.6%
  2. MS69

22.2%
  3. MS68

44.4%
  4. MS67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Body Bagged for Artificial Toning

27.8%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This should be a very entertaining guess the grade. I don't collect moderns, but when the opportunity arises to acquire a rainbow toned Silver Eagle, I will usually jump on it. I would like everyone to view the photos below and submit your guess in the poll above. I welcome your comments on the coin, and your reasons for your grade as well as how much you think I paid for the coin. Have fun with this one!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Let the fun begin!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This one had to be kept in a mayonnaise jar and put on Funk & Wagnalls front porch in the sun all day to achieve that toning Lehigh. I'm gonna say MS-69. Looks like a small nick below Liberty's' wrist on the draped flag.

4. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

unatural toning Lehigh to me
    [​IMG]
    That toning doesn't look natural to me i vote body bagged unatural toning to me

jazzcoins joe

[​IMG]

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Toning

that coin maybe from the south and left exposed. but still voted unnatural toning

6. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I saw a fellow at the MSNS show who had all kinds of modern coins, all ridiculously artificially toned (in my opinion), and all in PCGS holders. I have no idea what they were thinking. Perhaps these were treated after being placed in the slabs.

In any case, I'm going to say MS-69, not bodybagged. I think you paid $25 for the coin.

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

IMHO this coin toned after it was slabbed, not before. My guess is that it is graded MS-70, and if not then it it certainly graded MS-69 by PCGS. I personally think that the toning precludes it from either of these grades. I would personally grade it MS-68.

Lehigh, in your poll is it what I think or what I think PCGS graded it?

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Don't know own any undamaged blast white coins?

You spend all this money on toned coins and they are going to rust on you over time and then what? You'll be left with melt value coins....

Ruben

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The toning is 100% natural, really not even any room for doubt. Look at the way the layer of toning has flaked off in some spots - artificial toning does not do that - ever.

You can also look at the fingerprints on both obv and rev - again this is exactly how natural toning reacts with fingerprints - atificial toning does not.

As for grade, I would go no higher than 68 for poor eye appeal.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The Speedster can use it for target practice!

Ruben

11. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Those finger prints detract from the coins appeal. What looks like a couple small dings and I give it a 68.

12. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I think it is NT MS 69 at most. The toning is disturbingly hideous.

Bruce

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I like it, although I wonder if the toning is that brilliant in hand. I say it's MS68 because there are those prints and a couple tiny hits. I feel it is NT however.

As far as how much you paid for it...I'd say $125.

14. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Without reading the replies, I guess MS-68. The toning looks real to me, the blotches in it (atleast for me), helps determine that it's authentice. Unless a chemical is added to the coin, I don't see where it would tone blotched like that artificially. I could be wrong and way off, but that's my opinion. And I'll guess you got it for $30?

Phoenix :cool:

15. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

If properly stored, these coins won't continue to tone. They will remain brilliant. If they were allowed to continue to tone...your right, they would eventually turn black.

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Thermal dynamics...

18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Is that anything like thermodynamics?

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

No...

It isn't

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Not many, but a few. I know you like IKE's. Here is a blast white IKE.

[​IMG][​IMG]

:hug:

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

thank you for maintaining a sense of humor about it. That is a nice Ike.

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted