Guess the Grade - 20 Cent Piece

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Nov 24, 2017.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Please guess the grade:

z.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Also, would this be a die break? And for those that know, is this considered extreme or fairly normal for this coin series?

By the way, it continues through "STATES", but I only circled the most obvious part.
    z2.jpg

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Paddy54 here is one where you can participate!

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a Retained Die Break (CUD that is) ;)
    VF30 or VF35

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    ddddd likes this.
  6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

VF30, same as above, but I might throw a details at it. The obverse looks cleaned to me, but I don't see it (or not as obvious) on the reverse.

Love that die break!

ddddd likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well to my eye it is a detailed cleaned coin in vf and it is also an FS-20-18755 S -301. MPD
    However the variety doesn't add value as the rarer specimen wouldn't have the MPD in the denticles.
    The coin in hand may also show a rpm s/s as the die clash above the eagles head leads me to believe it in fact a dual variety coin.

ddddd likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with 35. I also wonder if the obverse caused a details grade.

ddddd likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Forgot to say, I love all the stuff going on with the reverse.

ddddd likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Must admit even though I believe it to be detailed the cud ,die cracks, mpd and rpm would be more then enough to pull the trigger.
    Add to the list a bisecting die crack from T in cents to T in states.
    So it has 5 varieties to look at on one coin.

ddddd likes this.
  11. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

Ill say that this is a VF35 coin but I am concerned that there might be some cleaning going on with this coin, I am on my assistants cheap lap top because mine is acting up a bit so if I'm wrong it just because of the resolution I'm seeing on my screen but I am pretty sure I am right here

12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I really like the reverse on this double dime. But of course I am a crack/break head. That is most definitely a die break.

The coin looks like it was cleaned with water and baking soda as it's unnaturally bright. It may have straight graded though at VF-35 as I think PCGS would think it's still market acceptable.

I've edited my grade after looking at it a little more, plus I'm adding my buy price that would get me to pony up for it. $145.00 would probably be my purchase price.

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's not for sale, but what kind of number would make you pull the trigger on this one?

And for everyone guessing a grade, go ahead and add a purchase price if you like (we'll make this similar to the details discount / toning premium thread).

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's Black Friday...go buy your assistant a nice laptop and we'll all be grateful! :)

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why you alway's seem to have to qualify your guesses that come before the reveal? I mean it's either another person's laptop, or you're on an iPad at an airport, or you're on the beach and the glare is causing an issue...

Also, I'd really like to see your website if you have one. A rare coin gallery large enough to have a chairman should have a website no? I'm a single person operation and I have a website.

16. Paddy54

The premium on the mpd is $ 0 although again it adds to the numbers of interest on this specimen. I would be in the $100 -$135 ball park with $120/125 truly being my confort zone on it being detailed. Straight grade $145-170. With higher end paid due to all the bells and whistles. ;)

ddddd likes this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thanks for the extra info! I'll reveal the price, grade, and "extra" details tomorrow after more people have had a chance to add their thoughts.

18. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Xf40 - obv. cleaned

ddddd likes this.
  19. Paddy54

One other note all of the above coments were determined off a 6x8" Samsung pad .No need to buy a new clearer lap top... buy a book or 2 so you know what your looking at.

ddddd likes this.
  20. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

Well, we are not really a website kinda company cause of the privacy of clients, we don't do retail operations. We work behind closed doors with lots of fortune 500 companies and even heads of states and we can risk those relationship, also we don't want anyone to know our inventory.
    I know that may see paranoid but I go the extra mile for my high net worth customers. I wasn't going to say too much now but I am considering working on a retail division but under a different name possibly.

with

Michael K likes this.
  21. Paddy54

Draft saved Draft deleted