Guess the Grade-----1974 Jefferson Nickel PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jun 11, 2010.

?

Guess the assigned Grade!

1. MS62

1.8%
  2. MS62 FS

12.5%
  3. MS63

8.9%
  4. MS63 FS

30.4%
  5. MS64

12.5%
  6. MS64 FS

25.0%
  7. MS65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS65 FS

8.9%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the assigned grade of this 1974 Jefferson Nickel graded by PCGS. Please vote in the attached poll!

[​IMG]

Comments and discussion always welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Pictures are a little smaller than you usually post, but it looks like all the steps are there. My guess is that Doug says genuine and I am not positive I disagree with him

4. Lehigh96

Uh, the photo is 1000x500 pixels which is what I always post. I am not trying to be tricky. The coin is graded one of the eight grades listed in the poll. IMO, those marks are not close to being severe enough to warrant a genuine grade.

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yea the steps are gonna be just a guess on the smaller picture but I'm game :D

6. Duke Kavanaugh

Yea I'd say those nicks are not enough to have it Genuine. Sure they will hurt the grade but not make it ungradable IMO

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The picture on my end is 800 X 400. And, yes, I gave it a grade, but I am still guessing Doug will not.

8. Lehigh96

I would like to hear how people grade this coin obverse/reverse.

9. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Denver produced the best struck 74's so someone was hoping for a high grade on this once raw $6 Philly coin.

It's still above average strike so a 65 is not out of the question, even with the numerous tics on the chin...F/S I don't think so, looks like the 5th step bridges between the 2nd and 3rd pillar. ~squinting~

If the obverse was as clean as the reverse, it would have graded higher, but I give it a MS-65

Happy Collecting

10. Lehigh96

Okay, I will give a bigger photo of the reverse only.

[​IMG]

It really is an fantastic reverse.

11. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

After reviewing the larger image, it might have squeaked by as a F/S designation, but it sure wasn't a lock.

12. Duke Kavanaugh

I as well think it can get FS now that I see the larger picture.
    The Rev looks very clean and I like it alot. The Obv has those 3 or 4 nicks on the cheek then the one on the collar then one in the field in front of the nose.
    The Luster, strike and color all look good to me.
    Just those strikes on the obv.

13. hiho

hiho off to work we go

I voted MS63 FS. The reverse is flawless, and easily MS-66 FS.

But the obverse is MS-62 with six separate hits. And PCGS and NGC use the obverse of a coin much more than the reverse to determine the grade.

I love finding undergraded coins with great reverses. Who cares what it says on the holder?

14. I voted MS64FS. IMO, the reverse is a 66 and the obverse is a 63. TC

15. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I voted MS63FS.
    Although, I don't think I would've even graded this coin Paul. There are 9 gashes on the obverse of the coin plus marks near what would be his left shoulder, his cheek, and whatever is going on in the fields outside of his mouth.
    Is this how Jeffersons typically look like in lower grades? Are they graded this way?
    To me, when a coin has 9 gashes, not only would I pass on it, but I will say it shouldn't be graded as well.
    Is it as bad as I see it though your pictures in hand, Paul?

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Very nice coin, esp. the reverse but eye appeal of the obverse keeps it down.
    I voted MS64FS.

17. Lehigh96

I don't know, I don't own it!

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I said 64-FS

IMHO the dings on the cheek preclude an MS-65 grade. The steps are full, and this coin would have graded 66 or 67 without the cheek marks

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I think the reverse is a 66 and a solid strike. It could even go 67. As for the obverse, remember your thread "Should a significant mark in a prime focal area prevent a gem grade?". IMHO, this is the classic example of the to the extreme. 61/62 would not surprise me in the least. And, Doug, yes, I know. The coin gets graded to the lowest side, but I think this is the exception.

After all of that, this is probably your example of how significant marks in a prime focal area do not prevent a gem grade.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then you really need to change your way of thinking. That sucker looks like it came in 8th in axe fight.

21. Lehigh96

Yet your vote does not correspond with your instincts.

Draft saved Draft deleted