Guess the Grade: 1973-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 23, 2018.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade?

1. MS65

2. MS65 FS

3. MS66

4. MS66 FS

5. MS67

6. MS67 FS

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please GTG of this 1973-P Jefferson Nickel by voting in the attached poll. Thank you, as always, comments welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ddddd and jtlee321 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I am too tough on Jefferson Nickels, but this one looks like a 65 due to the reverse. I know a lot of the planchet flaws make it through the striking process and I don't know if what I am seeing on the reverse is that or not. The obverse is certainly the strongest side and the money side for grades. The FS question is I think it would go 5FS but not a full 6FS.

4. Lehigh96

PCGS does not use the 6FS designation, they only use FS which equates to 5 Full steps.

jtlee321 likes this.
  5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I knew NGC did the 6FS/5FS, I didn't know about PCGS.

6. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Although there is a fair amount of chatter throughout the obverse and reverse, the sharp strike and booming luster likely landed it at 66FS.

I've noticed that the Mint must have been taking extra care with the 1973 mint sets as I've seen nice strikes and surfaces on these coins.

I have 1973 p & d quarters that are very clean and lustrous from a mint set.

7. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

I went with 66FS.

8. tken1950

tken1950 Member

I went MS65 and not FS due to the steps had a few light hits on them.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’ll guess 66FS.
    Like @jtlee321 , I’m not sure if the reverse marks are as struck or not. They are a bit distracting in my opinion, but I’ve never searched for a 1973 nickel so maybe this is as good as one can expect for the date.

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

MS66, no FS due to the hit. But you may get it at NGC.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am at MS65 no FS the planchet mark or ding connecting step 4 and 5 is too deep to get the designation.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  12. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Agree with MS65 5 FS

15. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I’ll go 67 w/o FS. I think the 6th step has bridging below columns 3 and 4. I think the nick runs across step 5 which knocks it out.

I think the luster, eye appeal, and strike are on par for 67. Some marks look to be from the planchet prior to striking. Others look to be from die polish lines and scuffs on the slab.

I actually like it at 66+ but see that isn’t an option.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  16. Lehigh96

I gotta tell ya, I am really surprised that PCGS didn't give this coin FS. They usually allow one little disturbance like that and they don't require the 6th step to be complete. As for the surfaces, I think PCGS has it right at MS66.

[​IMG]

jtlee321 likes this.
  17. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Overgraded...too many rim nicks, field flaws, hits, compared to other comps.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It has a nice look in the slab. I could see a 66 if the fields looked as nice as they appear.

Draft saved Draft deleted