Guess the Grade: 1961 Jefferson Nickel PCGS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 8, 2013.

?

Guess the assigned Grade!

1. MS64

18.5%
  2. MS64+

7.4%
  3. MS65

33.3%
  4. MS65+

14.8%
  5. MS66

14.8%
  6. MS66+

3.7%
  7. Other (Please Explain)

7.4%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the assigned grade of this 1961 Jefferson Nickel graded by PCGS and cast your vote in the attached poll. If you don't agree with any of the numerical choices in the poll, please vote for other but explain your reason in a response to the thread.

[​IMG]

Thanks and have fun! I will not post the result for at least 24 hours.

Paul

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

4. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

The coin has nice luster but it isn't great. The strike looks average. It appears to have clean fields with only a few minor nicks--jaw, collar, and steps. I say PCGS gave this a 65+. If it were in an NGC slab I would think it'd be a 66.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'64, but I'm harsh..........

6. Lehigh96

Nah, harsh will be the first guy who votes for "other" and responds by saying the coin is AU.

vlaha likes this.
  7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Geeze, I must be easy then -- I don't see anything keeping it from MS66. I don't particularly care for the "gash" across the steps under the left pillar -- and while PCGS tends to be a little harder on Jeff Nickels than NGC, I have also noticed that PCGS "market grades" attractively toned coins upward by up to 1 point. I like the eye appeal of this coin.

On an aside (tangent), I recently saw a PCGS MS67FH graded SLQ that had "pretty tarnish" but plenty of bag marks and a gash on the leg that would have kept a blast white coin of the same date in an MS65+ holder at best. When I pointed these out on the PCGS boards, I was chastised for such a silly comment, as in their words "with toning like that, the numeric grade doesn't really matter". I beg to differ, but whatever. :)

8. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

9. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

LMAO :D

10. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I've heard PCGS, due to the competition from newly formed appraisal services, is no longer grading above AU58. Everything MS60 - MS70 will now be holdered as UNC.

Lord Geoff and NorthKorea like this.
  11. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Sorry to hijack your thread, it appears to be a very nice 65.

12. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I voted the same - love the toning.

13. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I'm thinking MS63, due to the contact marks, which I wouldn't consider minor, due to placement. Then, add a full point (not just a +) for the eye appeal due to the toning (even though it looks similar to water damage toning on Franklins...):

Net MS64.

Also, take my opinion VERY lightly... since I spend similar coins when I get them. :p

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Nice one Paul , I'll go 65+ .

15. Lehigh96

No worries, that was hilarious. I only wish I was clever enough to have included UNC in the poll.

16. Lehigh96

Where is Doug?

petro89 likes this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't participate in many guess the grade threads anymore Paul, I buried the horse. But since you asked, 2 prominent marks right on the jaw line, 2 smaller marks on the cheek bone and 2 in the eyebrow, a few small ones in the hair, 1 prominent and several smaller marks on the collar, and a series of light scratches just below the collar. On the rev a few small marks in the fields, several small marks scattered over the building and 1 prominent mark on the steps, the spots on the left.

Add it all up and I see no way the coin could be graded above 64.

18. Lehigh96

Come on Doug, you know your first instinct was to say ungradeable due to damage, lol.

[​IMG]

Have no worries, it now resides where it belongs, in an album.

petro89 likes this.
  19. petro89

petro89 Member

I was wondering what was going on with those spots/marks on the reverse.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Either those marks below the collar are a lot worse than the pics show or that must have been a rare day when they graded that one.

21. Lehigh96

The counting machine damage is on the obverse below the coat collar.

Draft saved Draft deleted