Guess the grade 1950 Franklin Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Oct 24, 2015.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all,

I'd appreciate some opinions on this 1950 Franklin Half Dollar. Thank you!

IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6758.JPG
    IMG_6754.JPG

JPeace$, green18 and Rheingold like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Could be a nice toned MS64 fbl.....but the pics are not good enough to say this clear.
    Plus there is a scratch obverse in the left field.

4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

And on the bell

5. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

[charlietig, post: 2258431, member: 73870"]And on the bell[/QUOTE]

Several ones:(

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

MS 63, I love the toning!

9. kolnikov

kolnikov Member

i think it is AU 58, probably not what you want to hear, but this is an original naturally beautiful toned coin, forget the numbers on the label, you have an awesome coin.

JPeace$ likes this.
  10. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think its probably 63FBL, but I can't see the top left quadrant of the lines well enough to be sure. The obverse toning is quite attractive.

kolnikov likes this.
  12. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I am conflicted between 63 and AU58 because I am not sure if those scuff marks on the high points are actually scuff marks, or wear. If I were pressed to decide which of these 2 grades to select, I would go with AU58.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

ANAC's? '64. PCGS.......'63

medjoy likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thank you all for the opinions. To me this looked like a nicely toned BU Franklin (I was thinking 63 and no FBL). It does have scratches and some marks, but I've seen worse in PCGS/NGC 63-65 holders. I'm glad Anacs considered the toning natural, but the grade...well that's another story...

IMG_6751.JPG

JPeace$ likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They were rough on that bad boy, in my honest opinion. There's a little rub, but not so much the market graders aren't forgiving, these days. You know this much, you don't let that one go at AU55 money. I hope you know that, anyway.

Sometimes these overpaid "market" graders get a little confused on whether they're grading on condition or for the market.

green18 likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yes I'm definitely not letting go of this one at AU 55 levels. I'm almost certain that someone would pounce on it and I'd see it offered in a new PCGS 63 or 64 holder. This was one of the coins that I used in the extra spaces of my Franklin Dansco. I still like it just the same and will likely hold on to it as is.

green18 and eddiespin like this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think what they interpreted as wear, I interpreted as breaks in the toning (due to contact with an envelope, for example). In hand, is there actual flattening on the high points? It is really hard to tell in your slightly-out-of-focus pictures.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Rough and tougher than I thought they'd be.......

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

One thing for sure, it's a pretty coin.

ddddd likes this.
  20. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Pretty coin! I was going to guess 63 but late to the party; very tough to gauge surfaces and luster on a richly toned coin. Fun to play, though

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Your explanation is what I think happened. I don't believe there is any flattening on the high points; it is more like small breaks in the toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted