Guess the Grade-----1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jun 21, 2010.

?

Guess the assigned Grade!

1. MS62

5.9%
  2. MS62 FS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS63

5.9%
  4. MS63 FS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. MS64

5.9%
  6. MS64 FS

5.9%
  7. MS65

17.6%
  8. MS65 FS

23.5%
  9. MS66

17.6%
  10. MS66 FS

17.6%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This should be an interesting guess the grade. Please view the photo below and vote in the attached poll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you have voted, I would love to hear your reasons for your grade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Sure no problem - first you know I am not an expert on these. I started to go with MS64 since all the little tick marks seem distracting to me. It is lusterous, seems like a decent strike for monticello and maybe the pictures just make it look more "ticked" marked up than what I think a 65 or 66 should have. Next I think PCGS would say FS and NGC might say 5 FS. So basically that was my purely SWAG. I got to admit I like the way the pictures make this puppy show nice luster. At times I am not sure how far luster can carry some coins over bag marks. My humble opinion.

4. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

I want to say MS65/66 however before i do I would like to agree w/ the above poster "Next I think PCGS would say FS and NGC might say 5 FS." I think there are to many nicks for it to be a 66 however I have a funny feeling some of the nicks were over looked due to its pure beauty. Knowing you and the nickels that you shown before I cant imagine you would have bought a m64 so i went with 66 FS. It's a stunning coin w/ great luster.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Too many ticks for a 66 but they are not major enough to call it a 64. I am pretty sure I am seeing filled steps under that second pillar.

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I agree with you on the steps rlm but not on the grade. I said MS-66 just miss FS. 6-4-5-6 with awesome luster. A real nice looking coin!

7. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I said 66FS.
    I think the 5 steps are full for what the grading company's want as the bottom riser is not blocked.
    As as Yoda would say "the Luster is strong with this one"
    As for hits yes there are some as always but the biggest is the jaw line which are not hits but from the mint.
    So recap...66FS is IMO.

8. cncman

cncman Senior Member

66 no FS if what I see under the 3rd pillar is as it appears, a line across several steps, looks like it breaks the steps.

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I don't know anything about these, but my guess is MS65. It looks like a "bridge" between steps under the 3d pillar to the right. The marks under the portico and under the C of cents would keep it from 66, imo.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

My take on the steps is 6-5-5-6 but could be wrong and will be when Doug posts :D

11. cncman

cncman Senior Member

besides, I think if you had a 45p FS I would probably know about it by now! Hee hee.

12. JJK78

JJK78 Member

I voted MS64, although I would bet it's in a 65 slab cause it is awful purty:) I think the hits on the front combined with the 2 big shots on the building, 1 under the FIVE CENTS the reverse keep it from a 65... No FS either from the bottom steps lacking seperation in the middle.
    Also maybe it's nothing but what's going on with the TED in United and the last A in America near the edge of the coin on the reverse?

13. Lehigh96

Hmmmmm! You do know I have a PCGS registry war nickel set, don't you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My registry set would be better but I am constantly being outbid by the kool-aid drinkers.

14. cncman

cncman Senior Member

Yea, I just didn't remember this one, do you have your 67 in the main registry set instead of the 65FS? Nice as usual, I posted better pics of mine tonight let me know what you think!

15. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I gave it a 63 no fs probably should have said 64. There appears to be a large mark under the TY in LIBERTY in the first picture plus several small marks on the shoulder and the collar. And the reverse almost looked like it has rolling machine marks at the bottom. The luster is amazing and I guess I still haven't learned how much that can help/hinder a grade. As far as the FS, I was thinking posssibly 5 steps, but there appears to be a blur in the 2nd and 3rd steps under the center right column.
    But most of these flaws I only saw in the first pic.

16. Lehigh96

It is hard to factor luster into the grade of a coin without having experience for both the series and the date/mm. This coin has MS67 luster all the way. You just don't find Jefferson Nickels with much better luster than this coin. And while that is not uncommon for a war nickel, this type of luster will have a positive impact on the grade of a coin which is quite obviously not an MS67.

17. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

That one would look nice to my 45-D...if it was a higher grade. :D

I like the coin, but what concerns me is the large mark on the reverse, underneath FIVE and the end of the C in Cents.
    There are also some pretty deep nicks on the obverse. There is an obstruction in the steps so there goes FS.

As for my grade, it is MS65.

18. Lehigh96

19. Lehigh96

Nailed it right out of the gate. Congrats to both Marh H and Traumafindr for hitting this one on the head.

[​IMG]

This coin is one of those that requires an appreciation for market grading. The coin has MS67 strike, luster and eye appeal. However, the surfaces are of a coin that would normally otherwise be limited to MS64. Mark's analysis of this coin was spot on IMO.

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No problem with the grade, but what is your opinion on the steps? Is it or is it not FS?

21. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

it is FS by PCGS, RLM. Not sure if you saw the grade inbetween the obverse and Reverse sides of the Coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted