Guess the grade--1944-S Walking Liberty Half Dollar NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Aug 23, 2009.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. AU55

6.1%
  2. AU58

28.6%
  3. MS63

10.2%
  4. MS64

20.4%
  5. MS65

16.3%
  6. MS66

16.3%
  7. MS67

2.0%
  8. MS68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the assigned grade of this NGC holdered 1944-S Walking Liberty Half Dollar using the attached poll.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will post the answer on Monday night.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chip

chip Novice collector

I will guesstimate an au-58, I think I see some wear down liberties left leg, and the eagles breast. (I should be renamed owen, I think I am like 0-10 when it comes to grade guessing, and almost always on the undergrade side)

The source I am using to grade is coinworlds "Making The Grade" (I still have the 1965 red and blue books but they are more for mintage reference now than grading)

4. Art

Art Numismatist?

I think that NGC would grade this as MS64. I really don't see any wear on the coin. The strike is a little weak, especially the head and center areas of the obv.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I;m seeing a 58 on the Obv. and a 63 on the rev. I voted a 58 . again the worn area down Liberty. I'm thinking it would of hit a bigger number if the obv. did
    not have the marks.IMHO

6. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

7. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I say it's a MS65

Quite a nice Walker.

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I see an Unc coin with a weak strike.
    At best, MS-63.

9. Half Dollar*

Half Dollar* Numismaniac

The '44-S is known for it's very weak strike, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if NGC gave it a '67. Even with these amazing pics it's hard to judge if it's AU or MS, so I could be way off.

10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

The high points appear to have wear and nicks. I said AU-58. But a real nice AU-58. The only thing that I thought might bump it up to MS would be that it appears to have some nice luster left. But I think 63 is too high.

I vote AU-58. This one is a good challenge.

11. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

Nice coin! I vote MS64.

12. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

13. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

The images don't allow for a good look at the coin's surfaces, but I'll guess MS65. I believe that respondents who graded it low grade MS or AU were fooled by the strike on this typically poorly struck date.

14. KevinS

KevinS Junior Member

My first guess was AU-58 but there are some really nice details particularly Liberty's feet and the eagle's talons. I agree the front strike is weak. Nice blueish toning around the perimeter, Wouldn't surprise me if they gave it MS-66 STAR

15. Lehigh96

Kevin,

The coin did not star so feel free to cast your vote in the poll as an MS66.

16. Lehigh96

Mark,

I don't know if this will help, but here are the Heritage photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

17. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

High points worn down. Lots-o-dings... PVC crud ??? AU-55 or STG-..... Traci :eek:

18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Wow those heritage pics help me out. I was at a 64 now I think 65 due to the hits on the leg and small hit on the rock below the eagle's right foot.

I don't see the ware that others are talking about. After all it is a S minted coin. Typically a weak strike from this mint on most coins and this one is no exception, however its not a bad strike from that mint, I've seen a lot worse.

Nice coin.

19. raider34

raider34 Active Member

This is a tough one, but I voted MS 66. I'm betting it's just a weak strike and not wear, looks like it has some great luster. Very nice coin Lehigh.

20. Lehigh96

stg????

21. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

German grading system Lehigh equal to AU55...Traci :eek:
    STG-

Draft saved Draft deleted