Guess the grade--1944-D NGC Mercury Dime

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 5, 2008.

?

Guess the Grade

Poll closed Dec 7, 2008.
  1. MS65*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS65* FB

5.9%
  3. MS66*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MS66* FB

52.9%
  5. MS67*

5.9%
  6. MS67* FB

29.4%
  7. MS68*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ms68* FB

5.9%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of this NGC graded 1944-D Mercury Dime in the poll above. After casting your vote, please tell me how much of a premium you would pay (if any) for this coin at auction. To make it easy, please compute your premium as a percentage of the Numismedia Wholesale price of whatever grade you gave the coin. I will tell everyone upfront that this coin received a star designation from NGC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your comments regarding the coin and price a welcome and appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

Hmm, as much as I like the colors, I'm not a fan of splotchy toning like that.

So yeah, I might pass if I saw it.

but I guess MS67-FB

edit: and off topic, I don't think you've posted that quarter and half dollar that's in your signature before? :)

4. Lehigh96

I don't know why, but I find toning patterns like the one on this Mercury just irresistible. I don't like mottled toning, but dappled toning with multiple colors blows me away. I guess I can put you down for no premium, huh.

5. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

Well, let's put it this way: if for some glorious reason I was in the market for a high-end 1944-D Merc Dime, and I came across this, I might be willing - without looking at its price - to pay a 3-5% premium.

6. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

Tough call, I'm going with MS67FB, even if I think the center band is a tiny bit weak towards the right. I personally don't like the toning (Sorry man!) but it looks like a very nice coin.

Premium? None from me, not really what I collect at the moment and I dislike the blotchy toning, light golden/russett/rainbow on the edges? I'm ok with that, but the coin doesn't hit me but that's merely my own preference and subjective.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Great piece.
    MS-66 to 67 FSB.

Premium?
    I don't know, perhaps 15% to 20%?

8. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

I voted 67FB and I would discount by 10% due to the splotchy toning. Sorry Lehigh, can't join you on this being irresistable!

9. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

Do you have the pic of the actual coin? as opposed to the photoshopped pics? May make a difference.
    By these pics Ms67* FB-Cheek, nick above wing, possible bag marks (or toning) across the top and back of the hat.

In hand MS68*FB

I gave the star cause we don't know how the coin actually looks, and NGC sometimes stars some ugly coins (imo) - and it's not usually an option.

10. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

That's some one ugly toning what the heck is that mud. i still think the coin will grade MS66FBL and they probably designated it on the label as Mecury dime MS 66FBL with Mud.The only problem i see with this is the eye appeal
    jazzcoins Joe:secret:

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Did NGC add a MS66FB RPM to the details? I know it not rpm#3 but maybe rpm?

12. TwoSon

TwoSon Senior Member

At this moment in time and if I were looking to buy this coin I would pay no more than a 7.5% premium. A few years ago I might have paid more.

13. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

NGC would grade this coin MS-67*FB.

14. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I didn't even see that RPM jello good going looks like a north east seperation good observation jello
    jazzcoins joe :smile

15. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I guessed MS-66 FBL*. That would be my grade, but I think they went a point higher than me. I actually like the coin, mainly because the luster just shines through, and it helps enhance the eye-appeal of the toning, and the coin itself. I'd pay a little more for it (maybe 10% if I was looking for that particular date and mint, and if it's not a thousand dollar coin, lol).

Phoenix :cool:

16. Freddypm

Freddypm Member

I believe MS-66 FB as the coin has a nce strike and the bands look great. I am not a fan of the splotchy toning and would not pay a premiumm for the coin.

Freddypm

17. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I voted MS66FB*. I feel this coin has an excellent strike and looks wonderful. I really don't see any damage and it could well go MS67. It is clearly has full bands. I have it a "*" because of the excellent strike, amazing luster, and nice color. Although this toning isn't the kind I really like, I'm sure it looks nice in hand as it is clearly very colorful. I personally wouldn't pay much of a premium for this coin if any because the toning doesn't "catch my eye." However, I'm certain there are many out there that love this type of toning and I have no doubt this coin could have a substantial premium.

18. Lehigh96

As you wish. Here are some photos of the coin in the holder without the grade of course. A more macro view.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:kewl:

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

First of all I can't believe they gave that a star - blows me away. I find the coin quite ugly. That said, I will say that they gave it MS67 because the coin is virtually mark free. There are a few minor hits, but they are well hidden with the splotchy toning and very hard to see. Overall the coin has booming luster.

However, the coin is fingerprinted, both sides, and that coupled with the splotchy toning greatly takes away from the eye appeal IMO. Were I grading the coin I would give it no better than a 64 because of this. That to me is where the subjectivity of eye appeal comes greatly into play. I basically hate this type of toning. But that is my personal taste.

Now about this type of toning. While I can't prove it, it has always been my opinion that this type of toning, being as splotchy as it is, is due to one thing - the coin being dipped and not all of the toning being removed. Toning that dark and that thick just doesn't occur like that naturally. It doesn't jump from place to place, it covers the entire coin. Yes, the fingerprints account for some of the splotchiness, but only in the areas of the fingerprints themselves.

So the only way that the coin could be so lusterous and white in some areas and so darkly and thickly toned in others is if some of the toning was removed.

Now sometimes dark thick toning will flake off a coin of its own accord. This is often seen, but the spots where the toning comes off are usually quite small and isolated. It never, ever, occurs on large areas of the coin as it would have had to have done like on this one. Thus I believe that coins with this type of toning, and this look have been dipped. Not that is bad thing necessarily, for imagine if you will what this coin would look like if it were as dark as it is say on the forehead or on the rim by the I in LIBERTY. THAT'S why they dip these coins to begin with.

ps - so what do say Leadfoot ? Would this one have been better off left alone as well ? Completely covered with dark, thick, brown toning that resembles a coin covered with decades old varnish ?

20. Lehigh96

Well Doug, the bidders at the Houston Sale disagreed with you big time. The coin is graded as an MS68* FB and I placed a bid that I thought was extremely competitive at 38% over Numismedia Wholesale. The coin sold for $1,265 which is a 52% premium.

Personally, I have no problem with the grade of the coin regardless of the origins of the toning. The colors on this coin are very uncommon and as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the holder. I will be honest, I expected to win this auction. I did not realize how many other toning freaks would find this kind of toning attractive. I fully expected the bidding to be in line with the comments written in this thread. I am the only person in this thread who even remotely thinks the coin is worth a premium. I thought that general consensus would hold true with the bidders in the auction, and was very surprised that I was wrong.

Oh well, better luck next time.

21. $incere

$incere New Member

Thats rediculous, i say the same....

1. CANT BELIVE IT GOT A STAR
    2. 67 is what i guessed but thats being GENEROUS

In all Honesty... I WOULD NEVER BUY THIS COIN.... I wouldnt care any grade it has NO EYE APPEAL at all. Also, this coin should be a 66 but i agree with GDJMSP on mostly everything he said... BUT HORRIBLE COIN...... DONT CARE THE GRADE...

NO EYE APPEAL, whats the point in having a high grade coin like that in your collection igf it looks like **** and you cant even say "This is beautiful"

Draft saved Draft deleted