Guess the grade--1942-S Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This should be a fun guess the grade. Please guess the grade including any designations of this NGC graded 1942-S Jefferson Nickel. Here are the supersized photos for your enjoyment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have fun!:smile

PS. The large vertical scratch on Jeff's face is a slab scratch.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

what about that line going through his hair?

I'd say MS-63/64

4. Lehigh96

The line through the hair is a die crack.

5. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

Looks like a 66/67 but I don't think it's a star and definitely not FS. I'll go with MS67. Nice coin as always!

6. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

first off i'd say a DDO. On the reverse the pillar bases are curious. Overall grade: MS65/66

7. the_man12

That would make it a DDR but I think you are right.

8. coinman0456

well the DDO is there, I think. The curious pillar bases perhaps are another error designation.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

10. LSM

LSM Collector

I would say MS 64.

Lou

11. Lehigh96

I will give you guys some hints, because you are not even close. The certification number is 132110-018 and there are two designations.

12. the_man12

My guess was 67 and I said I didn't think it's a star, but hard to tell from pictures. Two designations must mean it's a star. So my updated guess is MS 67* (DDR) I'm not sure what DDR it is...

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I guess I could believe a 66 instead of a 65. However, the star escapes me entirely. Mark free? NOPE! Colorful? NOPE! Well struck? NOPE! Because of the die crack?

14. Lehigh96

If the star escapes you, the other designation will absolutely floor you!

15. the_man12

It better not be FS...

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Don't tell me it has one of those little green stickers on it too? I'll call it a solid 67. The later die state shouldn't affect the grade. I'll say it has a star and a sticker on it, too, what the hell?

They'd have to be blind in one eye and not see too good out of the other eye for that.

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

MS67, I have no idea what the designations would be

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Me personally - I would say MS62 because of all the clatter on Monticello. And I don't really care what NGC has for extra designations - in my opinion it is not star material and no way could they say FS. I am sure the coin is probably nicer in hand, but all I have is the pictures. I almost did not post in this thread - just cause of the high MS numbers tossed around and knowing Paul's taste. What the heck - I am not impressed with this one at all. I wanted to say AU, but figured it was weak strike. Just my opinion of what I see.

19. Lehigh96

Mark,

I respect your opinion, but you have to remember that oversized photos will magnify any imperfections on the coin. This coin is high lustrous and minimally abraded for a Jefferson Nickel. There is no way it is an MS62. With regards to the designations, it does have a star that it didn't earn. The other designation is even more absurd. Here we go.

[​IMG]

I will admit that my photo makes the coin appear a little more gold than it looks in hand, but there is way too much toning on this coin for it to have ever been considered for the W designation. I purchased this coin because I couldn't resist the irony of having a toned W designated coin in my toned war nickel registry set (MS66 max). That set is shaping up nicely BTW. Here is a photo of the almost completed set minus the overdate. I am currently in 66th place in the NGC registry.

[​IMG]

Hope you guys had fun with this guess the grade.:)

20. coinman0456

lehigh, you big trickster!

21. Lehigh96

Yeah, nobody was ever going to get that one.:goofer:

Draft saved Draft deleted