Guess the grade--1924 NGC St. Gaudens Double Eagle

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 8, 2008.

?

Guess the Grade

1. AU55*

6.7%
  2. AU58*

20.0%
  3. MS60*

6.7%
  4. MS61*

6.7%
  5. MS62*

11.1%
  6. MS63*

33.3%
  7. MS64*

15.6%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Now this one is bound to stir up some controversy. Please guess the grade of the rainbow toned 1924 NGC graded St. Gaudens Double Eagle shown below. Cast your vote in the poll above. Please cast your vote for what grade you think NGC gave the coin and then explain what grade you would assign by replying to the thread. Thanks and have fun with this one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

well, now that is interesting.

I dont think I've seen toned gold before.

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

First off, I have never seen a gold coin tone that that...that is really interesting.

I voted MS64*. First, let me state that I have very little knowledge of gold coins...so I may be missing wear, but I don't see any. So, that rules out the AU grades. Now that I assume it's MS...one thing I know is that with large gold coins, the TPGs are very forgiving when it comes to marks because gold is so soft. The fields of this coin seem to be remarkably clean. It does have a large scratch on the sun on the reverse...which might sometimes body bag a coin, but with this coin's unique eye appeal and toning...I think they let that slide. Other than that scratch, I don't see much wrong with this coin. Because it is in nice shape otherwise and has unique eye appeal, I think it was given MS64*.

However, I feel that a "normal" $20 St. Gaudens would be body bagged with that large scratch on the reverse (if the damage is as bad as the pics make it seem).

5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I said 63, but upon closer inspection, I'd degrade that quite a bit. The long scratch accross the obverse is somewhat distracting. But, the gouge on the sun's field on the reverse is downright bothersome, to me anyways. I'm changing my guess to AU 58
    Guy~

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm going with MS-60 because of the bag marks and large scratch on reverse. For the life of me I don't see any wear but if there is I'm sure Doug will chime in and show me. One more thing, I didn't know that gold coins would tone.....or is that just you playin' with the lighting Lehigh.

7. Lehigh96

No lighting tricks, the coin actually looks like that. I will not pretend to have knowledge of the toning characteristics of gold coins, but they do tone. Remember that gold coins are 90% gold and 10% copper. The toning you see is certainly the result of a reaction with the copper in the alloy.

There are die hard Saint collectors that will say that this type of toning is not natural and is the result of artificial toning processes. I don't know if they are right or not. What I do know is that the coin resides in an NGC holder and they have deemed this type of toning marketplace acceptable. I have always wanted one of these and now I have one. Yeah!:)

coin_nut likes this.
  8. CamaroDMD

My understanding (and I could be WAY off) is that gold itself doesn't tone. However, these coins aren't pure gold. They are a 90% gold 10% copper alloy. I have read that it is the 10% copper part that allows the toning to occur. It's a property of the alloy, but of pure gold.

Again, I could be way off...so take that with a grain of salt.

9. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I voted MS-60.
    Its probably a bit higher though. and I don't know much about gold.

10. CamaroDMD

Wow, Lehigh posted the same thing as me at the same time...great minds think alike. :)

11. green18

Right guys....I knew that.....still, never seen one toned. She is a beauty Lehigh.

12. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]I would give it a Ms 62 the toning is rather unique i love it/

Jazzcoins Joe

[​IMG]

13. Lehigh96

I was going to purchase one of these last year from Anaconda Rare Coins, but I spent about a month researching the originality of the toning and deciding how much to offer the seller for the coin. At the conclusion of my deliberations, I pulled up the coin on the website only to find that it had been sold to another buyer. The coin was a 1923-D PCGS MS65 Saint. I have posted a photo and link to the coin below. If my memory serves me correctly, the coin sold in excess of $8,000.

[​IMG]

http://polariscoins.com/inventory_archives_showmore.asp?cert=4355623

Notice the colors and toning patterns on both coins are very similar. Soft pink, orange, and lime green are the dominant colors.

14. green18

Beautiful toning on that '23 D.

15. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Lehigh - I gave it a 60 and would repeat the issues raised before regarding scratches. I think it is a very interesting piece. I would sure like to examine your vault someday and see all the wonderfully toned coins peacefully awaiting scrutiny. Do you have any kids? I bet they'd be fascinated in a different way with all the colors.

16. dimedude1

dimedude1 New Member

Just to be different, I'll go with MS61. I would have said MS60, but I would bet thant the toning added a subjective notch to the rating

That scratch on the sun is pretty distracting. Do gold coins tend to dink and scratch a lot.

17. CamaroDMD

Yes, gold is very soft so these large gold coins tend to get marked up. For that reason, the TPGs tend to be a bit more forgiving with them.

18. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Know nothing about gold grading so I just have to go on gut - that mark on the reverse in the sun - ouch - AU58. Voted before reading anything so should be interesting. Don't really see much ware on the coin though... Cannot wait to see what our resident gold expert and conservative grader says :)

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I voted 58*. I think I am seeing wear on the knee etc.

20. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

In Ricky World, it's MS62.

I think the TPG gave it a 63.

Congrats, Lehigh !

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

64*

I didn’t consider the toning on the high points to be wear. Therefore AU got left behind. The first thing I did was reduce the photo size to 50%. This is the size I am accustom to looking at the coin. I graded the reverse 63 only because of the scratch. The obverse was a solid 64 with ultra eye appeal. The obverse is the money side. I grade it 64*

All this may be all-wrong but it was my thought process and provided my first gut feeling about the coin.

Very best regards,
    Collect89

Draft saved Draft deleted