Guess the grade--1923 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Oct 26, 2009.

?

Guess the Grade

1. MS64

30.0%
  2. MS65

25.0%
  3. MS66

40.0%
  4. MS67

5.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

We have not done a guess the grade in a while. Please vote in the attached poll for what grade you think NGC gave this Peace Dollar. Feel free to provide your reasons and your overall opinion of the coin and what price you think it is worth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Cool!! Looks like I'm the first one, that always feels good, now it will happen unless someone else is typing at the same time. We'll see! :D
    MS64

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The long mark in the rays, is it a scratch, on the plastic, or a die crack ?

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Based upon what I do see and cannot see, I'll call it a MS65.

Lehigh, I haven't heard back from you about the 1928 S SLQ ?

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Very nice coin

Very nice coin. In my opinion the photo is a MS 65.5 Do you have any other photos which would sway the opinion up or down?

7. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Great coin Lehigh! I see a little hit on the nick and maybe a few very light scratches on the cheek. Btw I think those are light die cracks on the rays. Imo this coin is a very nice 66.

As for the price, lol, I see some rainbow toning in some spots, so the sky is the limit. Numismedia value is $630, so all I'll say is $630+.

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

With the assumption that the line in the tiara is a die crack which is very common for the coin especially in 1922's and 1923's I give it a ms-66. Nice coin.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would say that the detail says MS-65, but the eye appeal says lower. I graded it MS-64.

10. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I think NGC called it MS66 due the exceptional surface preservation - almost no bagginess.

I limit the grade to MS65 due to an even weaker strike than normal, especially the eagle's feathers.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

66. Nice coin, Lehigh.

12. Lehigh96

die crack

13. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The eye appeal doesn't work for me. I would rate it worse than an MS-64 but since it was the lowest one in the list, I chose it.

14. Lehigh96

I understand that you don't like the eye appeal of the coin, but you cant seriously think that the surfaces of this coin warrant a grade below MS64. FWIW, there is no way the toning on this coin had any effect (up or down) on the overall grade.

15. Lehigh96

Does anyone other than Raider have an opinion on the price of the coin?

16. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I would give it a MS65. It's not a high end 65, but a solid one in my opinion.

17. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I'll say it went for 425, and it is graded at MS65.
    Here are the hits I see that keep it from grading at MS 66
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

$1000 retail if its a 66.
    If it is somehow a 65, $500.

19. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

maybe a stupid question from a novice...I am trying to learn grading....are the lack of detail in the lettering IN..in the motto...L I in liberty and AM in america on the reverse due to weak strike?

20. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Yes sir. Peace dollars are notoriously known for having weak strikes. Very common with this series.

21. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

The only grade that comes to mind for me when viewing the images is MS66. It is a very appealing looking example.

Edited to add: Any one who graded it lower than MS65 really should look at quantities of these coins in person, or, if that's not possible, via images. Then compare this one to those graded MS64 and 65. MS64's and most 65's (and 66's) typically exhibit noticeably more marked-up surfaces.

Draft saved Draft deleted