Guess the Grade--1923 Peace Dollar NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Guess the assigned grade!

1. AU58

18.4%
  2. MS63

31.6%
  3. MS64

34.2%
  4. MS65

15.8%
  5. MS66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of this 1923 Peace Dollar graded by NGC in the attached poll.

[​IMG]

Comments about the coin and your reason behind your grade are always welcome.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I went 63. The cheek seems a bit to much for a 4 plus the spot at 4 o'clock on the obv and what's that on the ray's in the front of the lady's head?
    Could have gone 64 but stayed with 63.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Cheek marks limit grade to 64 IMO. High end 64 is what I would grade it from the images.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is wear I am seeing on the heir, wing, leg and rim. I even doubt that coin made AU63.

6. richarrb

richarrb Junior Member

I am going 64, the mark on her face is distracting to me. However, I like the reverse a lot and wouldn't be surprised if it is a 64/65. The rim also has either some wear or toning from the 3-5 o'clock area. I like like the luster and has a strong strike from most peace dollars I have seen. Nice coin leigh. I always enjoy looking at your peace dollars.

7. prolawn_care

prolawn_care New Member

I'm going with MS-64 the check marks and the marks in the field in fron tof the face hurt it, but the luster looks awesome! Very nice peace dollar. I'm going 64 NGC and 63 in a PCGS slab. ANACS is probably 64 as well. NICE coin!

8. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

9. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Pretty.
    However a few marks/spots distracted me, causing me to say '64'...

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

My first impression is slider 58/63 but having to choose one I went with 63. Can't tell if the top of the eagle's shoulder is rubbed or just shiny in the pic. Would have to see it in hand to be any more accurate.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree.

12. Lehigh96

Okay, but does that mean you think the TPG graded it AU58 or did they market grade it to a mint state grade?

13. GDJMSP

Good point. I think the coin is undoubtably AU (as my vote indicates) but I suspect they said 64 on the slab.

14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Looking forward to the results on this one. I was not sure that it was wear or weak strike(never study peace dollars) from the pictures since it still looks like luster to me. So I made a guess on what the grade was since last time(900fine post) I was way over. And then after reading the comments I am just no longer sure.

15. Lehigh96

What if I told you that the coin is in an NGC 7 Slab?

16. Leadfoot

I would bet you it didn't have a CAC sticker. ;)

17. Leadfoot

p.s. 67? Really?

18. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I would have said MS61 or 62. I think the "wear" spots are due to a weak strike. The "X" on the cheek keeps it from ever being a 64. Too distracting. I'll have to go with MS 63. Also, I think an AU 58 coin is usually nicer than a MS61 or 62 but with barely noticible wear. I think this would be an AU 50 if the weak strike areas turn out to be wear in hand.

Bruce

19. Lehigh96

Mike,

I didn't mean a grade of 7, I meant an NGC generation 7 slab. I trust that Doug will know the timeframe that NGC used those slabs. It is his position that the standards of the TPG's have changed in the last decade. This coin was graded by NGC last century and I wonder if having that knowledge would cause him to change his guess from MS64 to something else. Perhaps a more conservative grade?

20. Leadfoot

Oh, OK. I nearly fainted. :)

21. GDJMSP

Then I would hope that they said AU because based on the pics that is what I believe the coin to be.

And I was basing my previous estimate on what I think it would be graded today.

Draft saved Draft deleted