Guess the Grade--1922-D Peace Dollar NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jan 8, 2011.

?

Guess the assigned grade!

1. AU58

6.5%
  2. MS60-MS62

6.5%
  3. MS63

16.1%
  4. MS64

29.0%
  5. MS65

35.5%
  6. MS66

6.5%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of this 1922-D Peace Dollar graded by NGC in the attached poll.

[​IMG]

Comments about the coin and your reason behind your grade are always welcome.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Voted. MS-64.

4. cannoncoins

cannoncoins New Member

Voted, AU-58. Not to be cruel- I like the toning, and looking at some coins that have been graded MS- that sort of toning is all over the place, but i'm wondering if the hairline-y action on the neck might kick it down; I keep it cynical ;)

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

You have me a little confused. You grade the coin AU58 but make no mention of any wear on the coin. Toning does not equate to wear and the lines on the neck are the result of die cracks which don't affect the grade of the coin.

6. ronterry

ronterry New Member

MS65+ The Obv prime is insane! WOW!!!

7. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I went with MS65. The luster looks very good, and the cheek is really clean, just a little mark on the chin and a few hits in the field. I think it's a solid 65 too, imo, the mark on the chin is what holds it to a 65.

8. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Sweet. 1922-D VAM-2E?

Is that mark across the spike coming up from the eagles lower back a hit or die gouge?

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

At this stage of the game, I don't know if I am grading the coin or the poster, but I will say AU again.

10. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Remember I've got this old CRT monitor, but where are you seeing the wear on this coin?

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Look,s like a solid 64 :)

12. cannoncoins

cannoncoins New Member

I'm not saying the toning would knock it down- I think if anything it would knock it up, based on the "top 5" on PCGS; and I'm not referring to the die crack extending from the base of the neck left, and then from the "R" of trust up (the same crack, if you've ever seen a more advanced one) - I actually have the same VAM, in a lower AU state. I'm referring to the hairline-y action to the right of "WE", and I think below GOD, and then on the face in front of the hair below and right of the eye. Honestly, it's hard to tell at the resolution of the photos you posted. I'm sure you'll tell us it's something like an MS-67, but, like I say, I try to grade cynically and be pleasantly surprised, rather than the other way around!

---
    Silver and gold are not the only coin; virtue too passes current all over the world.
    Euripides
    http://myworld.ebay.com/cannoncoins

13. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

MS64 to me. Might go 65 if it has beaming luster but I don't like the obverse area between the I and R in LIBERTY. Looks like a $100 coin to me (64) not a $500 coin (65).

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Mostly on the wing feathers, but there is some on the leg and on her hair also.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Interesting coin. Obverse is 65 or 66 material -- strong luster and LOOK AT THE CHEEK! Reverse shows some high point rub. I guessed 65, and it looks like a sold 65 too.

Those of you who graded this coin AU have been reading too much of GDJMSP. :)

To wit, TPGs don't grade coins with high point rub AU. TPGs grade coins with FIELD LUSTER IMPAIRMENT AU. Typically, and IMO, of course. :)

16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Torn on this one. I would like to give it a 66 but I think their is a few small marks on the obverse and some nice hits on the rays on the reverse, however its the obverse that counts, right? or so it seems? I give it a ms 65, and a nice one at that. I've seen a lot of peace dollars in the older small white anacs slabs with that type of toning. Do you think that style of slab could have caused the toning?

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

64 - the neck does not allow me to grade it higher.

18. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

Paul,
    I tried to grade this before looking at others' opinions. To me, it looks like a very nice 65. Great luster, marks not in distracting areas and very pleasing obverse toning. I don't know how NGC grades Peace dollars but I see it is a fairly recently-graded or I might have been tempted to say 66.
    By the way, really nice coin -- hope it's yours.:smile

19. poppa501

poppa501 older'n dirt

Peace dollars are so hard to grade because of weak strikes, but I'm gonna go with a 64 also.

20. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Ditto.

21. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Nicely struck obverse , but too many little dings in the field and neck , I'll say ms-64 but a tpg might go 65 on a Monday , BECAUSE THE CHEEKS ARE SO NICE , Darn capitol button . Still a great looking coin .
    rzage

Draft saved Draft deleted