Guess the grade---1903 V Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Alright guys...
    I think this one is alittle tricky! The photos don't show it very good but the front of the coin is toned soooo pretty. If the coin wasn't toned and didn't have the eye appeal that it has now I would say it was overgraded by a point or so....
    I don't collect V Nickels but this one jumped out at me.....

Let me know what you grade it.
    Your thoughts on the coin, good or bad. :whistle:
    Who you think graded it, and what they graded the coin as!

Hope ya'll have fun!

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. monkeyman

monkeyman Coin Hoarder

beautiful coin! I too love that toning on the obverse. As for grade, I'm not very good at grading MS grade coins but i'd say NGC graded it as an MS 65 and my personal grade is also a 65

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not much into nickels either, but my first comment when I saw this was "HOLY #$%#$". Two questions first:

! Is the observe off center?
    2. Is the scratch 10:00 to 11:00 on the observe on the holder?

5. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I really like the toning on this one. The front is quite clean, but the same cannot be said for the reverse. I suspect the coin is graded ms-64, and if that is the case I would agree based on the overall eye appeal.

6. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I will also add that it wouldn't surprise me to see it in a 65 holder.

7. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

MS-64
    Nice Lib. !

8. Speedy

The first question---No--that was just my photo and me putting black around the edge.
    2nd....that is on the holder....
    The front is pretty clean, as Zane pointed out, but there is that nick on the neck....

Speedy

9. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Obverse is GORGEOUS and I do think the "scratch" at 10:00 is on the holder. LOVE the tone.

Hairline seems a bit weak but the stars are bascially CRISP. Not often I'll go this far but MS65 (even with the dig by the ear).

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Struck with a rusty die, they tried to polish it up and got carried away. See how the denticles are missing from 9 to 10 o'clock on the reverse. I couldn't go more than 64, and that's only because it does have good eye appeal. Otherwise this should be a 63.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I thought that the scratch was on the holder. Just wanted to make sure.

I am going to say that is a MS64 coin bumped to a MS65 because of the eye appeal.

12. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Very nice looking coin speedy...I'd say it's a solid 64 with a chance at 65 at both PCGS and NGC.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

A touch of a weak strike for a '03, but I'd grade it MS 65 and GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I guess I am the odd man out! Although the coin has nice eye appeal, there is definite wear and rub on Miss Liberty's hairlines on the Obverse and wear and rub on the leaves and bow in the Wreath on the Reverse (I increased the enlarged pics by 200%). Therefore, I don't believe that it received a grade above MS-62 and really should not go above AU-58! I also believe that it was struck with rusty Dies but the weak denticles may be more from the Die Misalignment than any repairs attempted to the rusty Dies. I don't think that the offset would be considered an Off-Center strike as it was due to misaligned Dies. Note how the Reverse is offset in the same direction when flipped over but in a true Off-Center it would be the opposite as the Dies were offset in opposite directions.

Frank

15. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Im with huntsman, tech grade is a 58
    I think it says and is worth 64 money

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Frank:
    I think that the 'wear' is actually a weak strike.
    MS-64.
    nice to see one without carbon spots.

17. Speedy

Let me take another pic of that---It seems that the light was glaring. While I do agree with your thoughts that it was polish alittle to much, the denticles are all there...just alittle weak.

The two bottom stars on the far right, also weakness....I would say from the polish again.

What I like about this coin was the eye appeal, there were no carbon spots as Frank pointed out, it wasn't baggy, and the face was pretty clean for what I see sometimes. I wish I could get a pic. that would show the toning as it really is....maybe I can do that today ;)

I'll wait alittle longer to post the grade in case anyone else wants to guess....

Speedy

18. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

19. Speedy

Here are some more pic's before I start other work.
    As you can see---the detail is there...just weak.
    I can't get the toning to show like it does it real life :headbang: It is much better looking :cool:

Speedy

20. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Hmmm, you'll RARELY see me do this, but I'm changing my grade guess to MS-62.

;)
    Ben

21. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Hey thats no fair, you flip flopped....O, sorry thats for the PRWE forum..

Now I can see nothing but luster on the obverse and the wear's on the reverse

Draft saved Draft deleted