Guess the Grade: 1902 and 1928 Shilling

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 6, 2014.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Pretty straightforward - guess the grades of these two recent purchases. JPW646 obverse.jpg JPW646 reverse.jpg JPW647 obverse.jpg JPW647 reverse.jpg

swamp yankee and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

First coin: AU-58
    Second Coin: MS-60

4. Owle

Owle Junior Member

They hardly hand out 60s anymore so 58/62 on the second.

5. physics-fan3.14

What do you mean by this? If the coin grades 60, they grade it 60.

6. Owle

Owle Junior Member

When was the last time you got an MS60 grade?

7. physics-fan3.14

I don't submit coins very often, and I choose them carefully when I do. I have never gotten a 60, but I've seen plenty of them.

Just curious - what are you seeing on this coin that would indicate a 60 grade?

8. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I'm too unfamiliar with the series to hazard a guess, but I like the '02.

9. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I would call them both around AU58 not enough luster on the high points. On the MS60 coins, remember they are either nearly damaged or have a washed out look with little eye appeal. That's why many people prefer AU58s when there is a price jump.

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

MS60 is an inferior coin that technically does not have wear. I would prefer a nice AU to a 60 any day.
    The two coins here I agree 58/62

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

As a British coin dealer I'd call them AU. Both show minimal signs of wear. The 1902 is a lot harder to find than the 1928, in that condition. It was a new coin issue and a coronation year so whatever the mintage figures might be, 02s got saved in some numbers, 03 to 10 were just nothing special at the time and harder to find now in high grade.

daveydempsey likes this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

I thought these pictures were pretty good - but maybe they aren't. You guys are nowhere near close.

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

62 and 63 , two beautiful coins . Who cares how many 60's they give out any more . The fact is they still do give them out .

15. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I've got a bunch in 60 holders, the grade that used to be real rare was 61. Now it's the other way around, you see the 61 label all over the place, hardly ever the 60.

16. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Agree, the others are way off. I think they forgot the coins aren't actually 8 inches in diameter like they appear on their PC monitor. I'm going to say 63/64 and 65.

17. afantiques

I don't see how coins with admittedly very slight evidence of wear can be called uncirculated, but that's US grading for you, always a bit more lenient than the UK equivalent.

This is understandable as the grading companies, unique to the USA, have a financial incentive to be as optimistic as is reasonably possible.

daveydempsey likes this.
  18. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

This thread is the PERFECT example of why I prefer raw coins.

swamp yankee and daveydempsey like this.
  19. physics-fan3.14

I'll give you a hint: what you guys are seeing as "wear" is actually called "high point pitting" due to an incomplete strike. The planchet doesn't fill the highest points, and is so left with these shinier gray spots. They aren't wear. I talk about it in more detail in my book.

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If that is not wear, I will try 63 and 63.

21. afantiques

I'll stick with wear, compare the 02 shilling with the same coin from the 02 proof set.

Draft saved Draft deleted