Guess the Grade 1882 O Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Sep 1, 2010.

?

What does it grade?

1. MS61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MS64

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. MS65

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  6. MS66

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

This coin is encapsulated by NGC. I will post the picture of the slab at a later date. So, what does it grade?

82o1.jpg 82o2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

65 (at least)

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I'll go 66. Super clean cheek and fields. A few chicken scratches on the reverse on either side of the eagle are about the only detractions. Nice coin.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Also looks a bit PL-ish.

6. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

I say NGC ms66. Nice clean cheek and fields on the obverse. Reverse has very very slight bagginess. Nice full strike for an O mint Morgan, and a very nice coin.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I voted MS66, too. The three tiny marks on her cheek, neck and eyelid shouldn't be any distraction to an otherwise clean Liberty. I don't think it would get a PL designation, but I really hate trying to grade and attribute coins from photos.

Chris

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That obverse is easily a 66, but there is another side to the coin. I would say 65.

9. cpm9ball

Dick, ordinarily I would agree with you, but I've seen a lot of 66 Morgans with minor blemishes in the fields and even on the eagle. The reverse doesn't carry as much weight unless it is fairly serious.

Chris

10. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

the obverse is 67 but 65 based on reverse nicks.

11. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Pics look a little washed out and I'm not liking all the action around the eagle. MS64.

12. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

The obverse is super clean and the scratches on the reverse look to be plastic slab scratches to me so i'm goin with MS-66. Gratz on owning this beautiful Morgan dollar.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd grade it 65 but unless it's an older slab figure they said 66.

14. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

wow love these threads :) what a cheek!!!!! and clean observe. guess MS-66 (though the one neg. are the frequent minor marks on the rev. fields ) amazing

15. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

The obverse looks like it could be 66 very nice cheek and only a couple very minor marks ,but I think the marks on the reverse may have been enough to limit a 65

16. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

I am going with MS64 based on what I believe is hidden by the straight on image and under lit areas of the coin. I don't just look with my eyes when a grade a coin like this but rather I interpret images and then extrapolate the grade. I am not always right but a high percentage of the time I am an it serves me well buying on ebay lol. I agree with the others that at face value the coin appears to be a Gem+ coin....will be interesting to see if it actually is ;)

17. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

65 due to reverse.

18. LostDutchman

I'll post the result later this afternoon... give people a little more time to chime in.

19. LostDutchman

82o3.jpg

I recently purchased this coin at a small show. I am under the impression that this piece might have a shot at MS66 and is slightly under graded at MS65. I am going to be taking a stab on this one because while the coin greysheets for $1,050 is MS65 it greysheets for $7,000 in MS66. It's in an older generation slab... but not a fatty slab... I think it's worth my gamble to see.

20. cpm9ball

Considering that there is such a big jump in price from MS65 to MS66, you may not get the bump in grade on a resubmission or even a crackout. It's too close to call.

Chris

21. LostDutchman

Your probably right... but it's worth my grading fees to find out ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted