Guess the grade 1867 with rays proof shield nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Jun 28, 2010.

1. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

This is a pretty neat piece. Anyone care to venture a grade? Sorry for the poor lighting/photography. The coin is a bit more reflective than it appears in the photo.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Well it is difficult to grade proof coins from photos.
    Anything I say is a crap-shoot.
    PF-64, and the coin appears to have some nice, subtle toning as well.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Really too hard to see the coin - my shot base off what I think I see is PF62.

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd go with 64.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I will gander a 63.

BTW, tmoney, I think most of the subtle toning you are seeing is the reflectivity zaneman is talking about.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I like!!!
    And I need that year :D
    I'll guess PF64

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Really depends on hairlines and haze -- both of which don't show well in photos.

Anything from a 63 to a 66 wouldn't surprise me as proofs are notoriously hard to grade from photos....Mike

10. FarmerB

FarmerB Senior Member

I agree -
    It's too hard to grade proofs throught pictures.
    Therefore, you should send it to me for detailed analysis!! :bigeyes:

11. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Its graded proof-64, and appears to be one of the later later restrikes.

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice coin! Tough one to grade via pictures - at least for me.

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

What do you mean "restrike"?

A restrike to me is a coin that is struck using the original dies but at a later date than the date on the dies. I am not aware of any Shield Nickel restrikes.

14. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Hobo,
    It is believed that the 1867 with rays proof nickel was struck on at least 3 separate occasions. The reverse die was lapped subsequently on each occasion, as you can see diminished detail on the denticles and other areas of the reverse. Very few were struck on each occasion, and this is the key of the shield nickel series.

15. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I learn something every day. Thanks for that education. I own a handfull of Shield Nickels (including a few MS examples but no Proofs) but I guess I didn't study up on the '67 With Rays Proof because it is way out of my price range.

16. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

17. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Thanks for the link. That answered a question I had. I was wondering if the restrikes were made during the era when the Mint would restrike coins for well-connected collectors. I thought that era ended a decade earlier than it apparently did.

18. jailor1

jailor1 Junior Member

1880 Shield Nickel

I have been unable to get a decent photo, but was able to get a "scan" for posting. Can anyone tell me if this appears to be legit or can it possibly be one of the replica coins that were apparently struck for this year ? I got it from a box of old stuff that my Mom had tucked away. She is 90 and it has been there a while. There are no stamps that say replica or copy on it any where. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
    Ed

Attached Files:

19. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Jailor, It's hard to tell from those tiny photos but it looks like an ordinary, genuine Shield Nickel to me.

You will have better luck getting your answer if you post your question on a new thread and post larger photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted