Guess the grade 1855 Gold $1

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bedford, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Since we did so well with the last coin I thought we could have some more fun .
    How well can you grade mint state gold ?

Here is a 1855 Gold Dollar - So how will your eye see it compared to the TPG's.

I took 2 sets of pictures to get a different contrast.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

MS 63

Nice coin, and quite valuable in mint state -- type 2 gold dollars are tough coins.

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i cant make out from the pics if there is wear on the hair if it is au 58 otherwise 62

5. Leadfoot

If that's a 58, I'll take 20 of them graded and priced accordingly. ;)

p.s. you did see the OP say: "How well can you grade mint state gold ?"

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would say MS62, but the grader said 63. Of course I have not really studied any of the gold.

7. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I'm going to say AU 55.

Great coin by the way.

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i have to call it as i see it. if there is a break on the luster/wear on the hair it cannot be called MS and as i said in my earlier post the pics are not clear enough for me but this is my opinion ;)

9. Bedford

Sorry to post the answer so quickly but Im leaving for the weekend & no one will remember this thread by Monday . So if you want to see the grade of this coin I have posted it in My Album . Take a guess 1st if you havent & then check to see how you did.

THE ANSWER IS HERE

10. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

My guess would be XF to AU

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What - you've never seen them slab a slider as MS ?

That said, I don't think they did this time. But the coin has a very weak strike, I would say 63.

12. Leadfoot

Yeah, but that's no slider (IMO)...Mike

p.s. Spock, of course you're entitled to your opinion. However this was a "guess the grade" not a "grade this coin" thread. :)

13. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

14. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

MS63.

Ahhhh Bud ! Decided to give us a toughie, huh ? :) Not gonna take it easy on us, are ya ? :)

I'm assuming the southwesterly "scratches" in the left reverse field are on the holder. I'm also assuming the color "aura" around liberty is an artifact of the camera. If it's on the coin, it's a little distracting.

Obverse : Good detail in the feathers ! Full LIBERTY - often lacking, even on Mint State T2 G$1s. Those are the elements which set this one apart. Clashed dies.

Reverse : A little soft on the date and denom, but that's typical on these. In general, the reverse has a little less detail than the obverse. Worn dies ? Poor die alignment ? Heavily clashed dies - common on these.

Spendy coin, that's for sure.

15. 900fine

Hair detail - always tough to call on these. Even MS coins commonly lack hair detail, especially above brow and behind the eye.

16. 900fine

A unique portrait of Liberty not found on any other denom ! Type IIs - the transition portrait... type IIIs match the $3 Princess.

Toughies, but very hip coins.

17. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Well looks like I blew this one. Never could grade Gold ones. Especially with good photo's :)

18. Leadfoot

Don't feel bad, this is a tough series to grade -- often found weakly struck.

19. Bedford

For those of you who were not able to find or follow the link here is the coin-
    It was a tough one to call-

Attached Files:

20. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I say MS-62, possibly a MS-63, and I'll say the TPG graded it a MS-63. Very beautiful coin! :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

21. snaz

snaz Registry fever

MS 63, but I'm assuming all those scratches on the reverse are on the holder

Draft saved Draft deleted