Guess the grade 1826 Capped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bedford, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I was kind of bored today so I figured we could do a guess the grade -
    Had a tooth filled today & just cant get up the energy to catalog any more coins for the day-
    BRAIN FRY-
    So how are your skills at grading high end Capped Bust Halves-

Try your eye out & see if your close to the TPG-

FYI,The minor scratches are all on the outside of the slab. I pictured in with 2 types of background lighting to see if it would contrast more.

Good Luck- J

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

WOW! I bet Bone would be salivating if he were still here.

Great luster. Minimal contact marks. Strong strike. I'll guess MS-65. Wouldn't doubt it would grade MS-66.

BTW, I noticed the vertical lines in the shield overlap the border of the shield like the 1837 CBH I posted (Genuine or Fake?). Someone questioned that as being an indication of a possible fake.

4. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Well, I'm still here... and I'm salivating, that's for sure.

What a sizzler ! Gotta be a 65. I've never seen a CBH with that much luster. Maybe a 65*. Sky's the limit on this one.

5. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Looks like a later obverse die state... those obverse stars are stretching a bit toward the rim.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

well, they were wrong.
    That is a diagnostic for the different Overton #'s.
    And it can make it easier to id.

7. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Somewhat of a later state,it is an O-106a R.3

8. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

This is a 1826 O-106a (R3): the die crack indicates a late die state which may make it more rare.

I feel bad trying to assign a grade to this thing because it appears to be so nice, and you don't often see them this nice..... Having said that I think it is a MS65 possibly a 64 if some of the hairlines I'm seeing are not on the holder's surface.

In response to Hobo's question... many die states throughout the series had problems with lines in the shield extending beyond the boundaries... so this actually may end up helping you authenticate a coin and determine which die marriage you are looking at.

9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I don't know but this thing is crazy nice. Rarely see one this good. MS-65. Just throwing it out there. Would make for one hell of a give away. :D If you'll raffle it off, I'm in!! lol

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful piece , surface looks completely original , MS-64-65
    rzage

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

MS 64 if the hairlines are on the coin (cheek).
    MS 65 if not.

12. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What a beauty!! Wish I could afford this one. Bet she went for a pretty penney. I'll go with MS65.

14. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

15. Droidicus

Droidicus New Member

That is a STUNNING coin, very well struck. I will agree with all the other 64/65's. I also agree with the O-106a attribution (all the die cracks make this one EASY!).

~Droid

16. snaz

snaz Registry fever

MS 63 ish?
    Very nice coin Jason!
    Very Nice Die Cracks too!

17. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Whilst I agree with the Att at O-106a, I have to say this is one of the nicest BHD's I have seen. I see it hitting MS66.

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think it is a MS64/65.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd say 64, can't make 65 because of the die cracks. Would guess the TPG said 65 though.

20. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Doug, I have to disagree here. with that logic would a 1955 DDO Lincoln not be considered a problem and the same and thus none of them could grade higher than a 64?

Its a variety, has nothing to do with the coin per say. The die used for this particular coin happened to be cracked. I don't see the TPG's taking away points because of a malfunctioning of the die. Got me to thinking however and I have a call into Ed to find out for sure.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Understand your point Jim, and many would agree with you. But die cracks are after all a flaw in the die, and I just can't bring myself to give a coin a GEM grade when it has major die cracks which are due to a flaw. Consider if you will that there are plenty of coins struck with that die before it cracked. Would it be logical to grade this coin the same as one of those coins without the die cracks, assuming they were equal excepting the cracks ?

There are other things, that manmy people forget, that must be considered when grading a coin besides bag/contact marks, quality of strike, luster, hairlines and eye appeal. They are the coin must be well centered, planchet characteristics and marks in the die. Die cracks are marks in the die.

Now I will readily admit that even the ANA grading guide says that "rarely will die cracks affect the grade of a coin", but that is really all it says about them. It doesn't even discuss them in regard to MS coins. But given the situation that I described above, with and without, I hardly think they can be, or should be ignored. Of course that is just my opinion. But it sure makes sense to me.

As for the '55 DDO, that is hardly the same. It is a variety while die cracks are an error. A fine line perhaps, but still a line.

Draft saved Draft deleted