Guess the grade #138

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jan 5, 2011.

?

1926-S PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2011.
  1. 55

31.6%
  2. 58

36.8%
  3. 60

5.3%
  4. 61

10.5%
  5. 62

10.5%
  6. 63

5.3%
  7. 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1926-S PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

au wouldn't surprise me.

4. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

AU50+6... I hate these pancakes and imo they shouldn't be MS'ed.. anyway, I'll guess the highest possible grade under "strike may not be full"

MS/PR-60No wear. May have many heavy marks/hairlines, strike may not be fullMS/PR-61No wear. Multiple heavy marks/hairlines, strike may not be fullMS/PR-62No wear. Slightly less marks/hairlines, strike may not be fullMS/PR-62+No wear. Still slightly above number of marks/hairlines, strike may not be full. Attractive eye appeal for grade.MS/PR-63Moderate number/size marks/hairlines, strike may not be fullMS/PR-63+Average number of marks/hairlines, strike will be close to average. Good eye appeal for grade.MS/PR-64Few marks/hairlines or a couple of severe ones, strike should be average or aboveMS/PR-64+Very few marks/hairlines or a couple of heavier ones, strike should be average or above. Superior eye appeal.MS/PR-65Minor marks/hairlines though none in focal areas, above average strikeMS/PR-65+Very minor marks/hairlines though none in focal areas, above average strike and eye appealMS/PR-66Few minor marks/hairlines not in focal areas, good strikeMS/PR-66+Very few minor marks/hairlines not in focal areas, very good strike with superior eye appealMS/PR-67Virtually as struck with minor imperfections, very well struckMS/PR-67+Virtually as struck with very minor imperfections, very well struck with attractive eye appealMS/PR-68Virtually as struck with slight imperfections, slightest weakness of strike allowedMS/PR-68+Virtually as struck with very slight imperfections, the strike must be virtually full. Eye appeal must be very good.MS/PR-69Virtually as struck with minuscule imperfections, near full strike necessary

5. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

AU58..I gotta agree w/ Bahabully here.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

No disrespect intended, but I always chuckle when people quote grading guides. You can't learn to grade through a book, IMO.

To wit, would it surprise any of you that I've read the PCGS grading guide once and have never opened it again? Yet somehow I am in the top three or four in these grading contests -- experience looking at graded coins, and not reading books, is the reason I would suggest.

7. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

your right leadfoot,, you can't learn to grade by reading a book anymore than you can learn to teardown and rebuild an engine by reading a book... the doing of it is what teaches everyone. I'm just pointing out that the book and the actual are very poorly aligned.... you watch this baby come in MS63, or if it doesn't then i can post or point to 5 others that look like it that are graded by one of the big 3 in ms63,,, and don't even get me started on the 22d's !! in any case, my gripe is the application of grading rules to some dates and then the way the tpg's provide a completely different grading delimiters to other dates within a series if a specific date has strike issues, or luster issues, etc.... these date specific issues should not warrent a different standard.

If it were up to me there wouldn't be a single 22d weak reverse in MS anywhere,, yes, even it just came off the press. imo, the strike would hold it down per the ana grading standards and we'd all be looking for red vf35 and ef40 22d weak strikes to complete our BU set of cents.... and they would be priced accordingly.....

breaking the standard just opens the door,, and the door be a swinging freely folks.

8. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

I voted AU 58, it may be higher or lower I just don't know how to approach grading a weak strike, which is what I assume this is?

9. sro114

sro114 New Member

I'll call it 55 with the disclosure that I have no idea what PCGS will grade it. I also have a very hard time with a strike like this.

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I had absolutely no clue on this coin. Don't the series or well enough. I guessed 61 because my eyes went blurry looking at it.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I will go with a 58 it just doesnt look any better then that and could even fall
    To the bottom of your scale at 55

12. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

MS-60 Worn Die

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Love these weak 20's cents!

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

15. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

What the heck. 61.

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but I am running late. I will get the scores later.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

So it is a weak strike. It is really is not that horrible in hand. As bahabully deduce, it got the highest possible grade not requiring a good strike. That is a 63. I do not so much have a problem with it being MS, but I might have given it a 62.

Attached Files:

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

This round hurt the scores, but there are still 5 all less than 0.4 off perfect. That must be #%#$% good.

Top 10. Columns are rank, name, average, and number of guesses.
    1. bahabully 0.250 50
    2. Coinguy56 0.333 29
    3. Duke Kavanaugh 0.344 34
    4. ldhair 0.364 35
    5. Leadfoot 0.378 47
    6. BadThad 0.521 50
    7. mark_h 0.553 49
    8. jallengomez 0.581 33
    9. ddoomm1 0.625 26
    10. swhuck 0.636 24

19. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Tough date in MS !! I'm still looking for a nice tpg'ed in strong AU or MS and at a reasonable cost... for now, I'm in Raw..... EF'ish+ to AU range in this date. That said, I wouldn't trade this one for a MS pancake... To me, strike is one of the primary attributes for selecting cents... then color.. and luster is a close third.

Attached Files:

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My best looking coin is also raw. I would call it about 63 RB. The problem is that it has been wiped. Still, it is not too bad a coin.

21. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Great ! so now I can look forward to having you to bid against u on any upcoming 26s's on the major auction sites.... dang it. Maybe I'll move this one down the priority list until you get yours ; )

Draft saved Draft deleted