Guess the grade #128

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Dec 6, 2010.

?

1926-S PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2010.
  1. 50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 53

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 55

46.2%
  4. 58

15.4%
  5. 60

23.1%
  6. 61

7.7%
  7. 62

7.7%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1926-S PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numister

Numister New Member

MS63RB or AU55RB

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I really, really, really want to grade the coin AU. However, I have trouble believing that you have a coin in your set that's AU.

Oh, what the heck, I guessed 58.

:)

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

6. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Think the die was worn when that cent was made, so I gave it a MS62. MS60 is probably more realistic but I am sticking with my first guess.

7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I'm surprized it graded with all the verdigris. The TPG's can be quite funky on these and I don't much care what they said. It's an AU coin. AU-55 corroded....it should be in a genuine slab IMO.

I might take a hit when PCGS calls this a 62, but I don't care and they are wrong.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

OK, most of you got the idea this one is AU. However, I believe this is the first time absolutely every one is wrong. Not one person guessed the grade. This just confirmed my suspicion when I got it. This coin is undergraded. It may not be a 58, but it is better than a 53!?!?

Attached Files:

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Larry's lead is shrinking. Slowly, but it keeps decreasing.

Top 10. Columns are rank, name, average, and number of guesses.
    ldhair 0.296 29
    bahabully 0.333 50
    Duke Kavanaugh 0.342 40
    Coinguy56 0.424 35
    Leadfoot 0.467 47
    swhuck 0.536 30
    BadThad 0.625 50
    mark_h 0.625 50
    jallengomez 0.676 39
    Shoewrecky 0.682 24

10. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I could have sworn I pulled the "vote" trigger on this for a 55, but I guess not.

RLM-

Thad brought up a point about the verdigris on this one. Do you frequently see coins with minor problems like this graded. I've also seen quite a few like this that don't have verdigris, but do have some "gunk" for lack of a better term around the letters and numbers. I ask this, because I've always tossed coins like this aside as ungradeable. I have zero experience though, so is this amount generally acceptable?

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

As Larry pointed out in the other thread, some of the votes went away when Peter upgraded his server. I suspect this is why there were so few votes on this one.

As for your "problem" coins, I do not see them frequently, but I have more than one. As for this specific coin, yes, there is a spot at 3:00. I am pretty sure that stuff at 6:00 is also verdigris, but it looks like dirt under room lighting. It only shows up under bright lighting.

12. BadThad

The good news is, PCGS slabs are pretty good no matter how much people knock them....the verdgris should stay right where it is with proper storage. I would not crack the slab to conserve it, that's for sure.

jallen - There's many slabbed coins with surface issues. This is not uncommon. I also think PCGS grades an "example coin" now and then to make some sort of subtle point. In this case, they were telling people: DON'T CLEAN YOUR COIN. One thing going for this coin is that it is original, I love that about it.

13. BadThad

Oh....and PCGS got the grade right...I'm always off by one. LOL

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's interesting how lights and cameras bring out stuff on brown copper.
    Images seem to really bring out the green.

15. jallengomez

Thad,

Thanks for the reply. So is dirt/gunk around the letters or numbers acceptable?

Jody

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Dirt - absolutely is not a problem. Not sure just what constitutes "gunk", but verdigris is not.

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

RLM, What the heck are you doing with an AU 53 coin in your collection? :)

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

First off, that is not the first circulated coin you have seen here (1914-D VF-20), nor will it be the last. I also have a few others from other TPG's that you will not see (here, anyway).

As to why, have you ever looked for an uncirculated 1926-S that is affordable? BTW, that is a 2 part question - find it and then afford it.

19. BadThad

62-63's aren't too expensive....if you can find them.

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You may be surprised at how much a 63 runs, but the real key in that line is "if you can find them".

And BTW, do not include any red on that coin.

21. jallengomez

Draft saved Draft deleted