Guess the grade #116

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Nov 12, 2010.

?

1936-S PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2010.
  1. 63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 64

18.8%
  3. 65

56.3%
  4. 66

25.0%
  5. 67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1936-S PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

4. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

64+1..... some notable nics both on obv and rev, and a spot here and there.

5. SJVM

SJVM Long Time Gone

6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

7. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Just to give you an idea what my pictures show, I had to take a picture of this coin just to see why it was not a 67 or 68. I do not use a 10X lens (6X, I think), but the marks just do not show in hand. I had to twist it every way from Sunday to see any nicks. I still cannot find all those "nicks" by the end of his bow tie - just the one. Even then, most of what I am seeing are planchet marks. The only thing I can see to keep this down to 66 are the spots.

Attached Files:

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I'd say it was a close call between 65 and 66. The reverse is pretty nicked up for a 66 IMO.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

What you are seeing is the slab. I can just find 2 nicks on the reverse (the "E" and something below "AMERICA". The rest is only the slab.

12. BadThad

Now that I look again I think you're right! AARRRGGGG Hey, I'm trying to 7 second speed grade like they do. LOL

That's probably why I'm down at the bottom of the pile. :mad:

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I bet even they could not speed grade from pictures. I try to do it at one glance of both sides - but not 3 seconds per side. :)

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

This must be my lucky day. That is the second one of those today. (Actually, a third, but the third chap will never admit it.)

Just how are you rotating them like "they" do?

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I missed those by a point a piece. That should change things up a bit.

16. Leadfoot

FWIW, I grade these coins in about 5 seconds, looking only at the obverse, and I move back about 5' from the monitor.

17. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I have this happen all the time too. Marks that I can barely spot with 30X show up in the photos like sore thumbs. Makes me wondering if the imaging software in digital cameras isn't set to sharpen the heck out of minute details.

18. Leadfoot

Jallen, It is not uncommon for cameras to sharpen photos. Often it's a setting called "sharpness". Personally, I prefer to turn OFF all these types of features, and deal with it in post-processing where you have much more control over the application of, in the case of sharpening, something like unsharp mask.

19. BadThad

That's just it....it's almost impossible to photograde at 66+ because we cannot see the luster properly. It's all about the flash and if we can't see it, we can't accurately grade it. It truly becomes a guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted