Guess the crossover grades.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, May 14, 2014.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I bought the following coins, cracked them out of the holders, and sent them to PCGS raw. (Yes, I know, not a true crossover since they were cracked out first). All 3 got problem-free grades. Take your guesses.
    #1:
    $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG
    #2: $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (4).JPG
    #3: $_57.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

1811 - AU-50
    1818 - VF-35
    1836 hard to see enough to make a more accurate guess buy, it looks like it could have come back as AU something

4. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

XF40
    VF30
    XF45!

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Here are the pics I took after cracking them out. (The 1836 is the 1836/1336 overdate). DSCN6004.JPG DSCN6005.JPG DSCN6013.JPG DSCN6015.JPG DSCN6006.JPG DSCN6008.JPG DSCN6009.JPG

Kasia likes this.
  6. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

XF40
    VF35
    XF45

7. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

1811 - xf 40
    1818- vf 25
    1836- au 50

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

XF45
    VF35
    XF45

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

XF40, VF30, XF45. Personally not fond of the pictures of the second coin - makes the surfaces almost look oily.

medoraman likes this.
  10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

1. EF-45 - same
    2.VF-25
    3.VF-35

I really like the 1811 .

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree with that. TBH I though the grades given were not far off the mark. I wouldn't have risked having them downgraded.

12. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I agree, I think they were pretty fairly graded before, don't see much room for improvement. But that 1811 is really a nice looking coin out of the holder. Unless you have a thing about NGC, I think the first two should have stayed in their plastic. The third I would think would be a tossup. I could see PCGS either grading it the same or a bit higher or lower, but not substantially.

13. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I hate to guess but will watch this....hunch tells me PCGS will downgrade but I just do not know.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Savy got em all exactly right. 1811- XF40, 1818- VF35, 1836/1336 XF-45.

Now, there is a reason I cracked all these and sent them to PCGS. Primarily, I have noticed a large discrepency in the final hammer prices for NGC capped halves as compared to PCGS. People generally aren't paying solid money for NGC slabbed capped halves. And I don't even need to mention ICG... I won that coin for $125, and although the holder didn't have the variety on it, the seller had it accurately listed as the overdate. I typically get $350-$500 for these at auction in PCGS holders.

Secondarily, is price. I won the 1811 for $260 & the 1818 for $110, both on eBay. So even after sinking another $30 into each of them, I still think I will make a decent profit, purely based on the fact that people are addicted to the PCGS plastic (at least when it comes to capped bust halves).

Weston and Savy like this.
  15. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

16. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Another example of an ICG coin grading up. Instead of the large deduction a lot of people seem to assume. (sorry to sorta hijack the thread with this, but...) Here's another one that sold on ebay for $800 BIN ( I didn't buy it) which is over $400 less than similar PCGS sold listings. Is that really justified? Looks pretty nice, though hard to tell by the photo.
    $_57.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Lady liberty's hair looks pretty flat on the 1818, lucky you that it upgraded. Nice coins, esp the 1811!

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A common perception, or hunch if you prefer. But as you can see PCGS upgraded 2 out of 3. And it happens a lot more often than people think.

Judge the coins, not the numbers on the slabs or the company name.

19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I see that. ...well, now anyway.

Yes, that WAS surprising to me.

rzage likes this.
  20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Nah, its just us old idiots who actually had to learn to grade a coin on our own before the beloved TPG's were invented to take this dreary task away from us. We are the ones who are in the wrong......must drink the Koolaid.....

Sorry for the sarcasm. I honestly feel a new collector should be forbidden to even look at a slab for a few years when they start. Grade your own dang selves. I mean, it involves studying coins, reading about coins, learning about coins, why would a real collector NOT want to learn?

Ed Sims likes this.
  21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But yet I have said the same exact thing hundreds of times. And there have been hundreds of other posts of examples of the same thing. But somehow it never seems to sink in to people's memories.

So why does it seem that so many are surprised when they see examples of this ? It is because people tend to believe what they want to believe, instead of what is really true.

The best thing a collector can ever do is to keep an open mind and learn to judge for himself instead of trusting in hype and advertising. No matter what company slabs a coin, and no matter the number on the slab is - IGNORE IT COMPLETELY ! And judge the coin itself.

Nuglet and Ed Sims like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted