Guess the attributed Grade. 1883 non cents.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This has been on my brow, for a while now. If I need better pics I can post them in the morning. Been a productive week, I, treated myself to an undo pleasure.

So, here is a couple pics that I took. IMG_3529.JPG IMG_3531.JPG IMG_3536.JPG IMG_3535.JPG IMG_3534.JPG Brought to you by the Silver Bullet.
    upload_2017-6-9_21-34-11.png
    Thanks for the help, All Ya all, Its a pleasure knowing Each and everyone of Ya', Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your community.

So, I have really been Kind of like some of the YN"s for a while now.
    I never went through introductions.

For the most Part, I never knew I liked coins until, my Father told me he had been collecting since he was a kid, I was 38, It made me a little sad, that he kept this from me. I have since had my head in the books, and tried to retain everything that I could have read or seen, Ya' all have been very instrumental in my growth..
    Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This one is a tough one from the images. Not knocking your photo taking, just trying to read the surfaces. It looks like it's on the weakly struck side. I think it's MS as these are pretty easy to find uncirculated. My gut is telling me it's MS-64.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry as Justin stated you can't read this image for luster and it's not clear enough to make a call on grade.
    This date are known for weak strikes and are abundant in Au to low ms coins.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Agreed, hard to read luster on the photos. I'm going with MS63 weak strike.

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

My SWAG is 63 and yeah, that left ear of corn looks like a corn dog. Typical weak strike.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Paddy54

I can add that there are like 5 known varieties of the 1883 N/C nickel 4 of which are rpd and 1 ddo.
    The 1883 W/C there are 4 known rpds .
    I would also add that the 1883 Liberty aka V nickel were again a new lesson to be learned in minting. The Liberty nickel was made thinner due to the issues they had with the thickness of the Shield nickels.
    However I'm sure even with reducing the thickness the strike issues still haunted them at the mint.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

I here ya, the luster on this coin is quite hard to capture, when trying to do so last night, I lost all the toning.
    I am gonna try again, once the coffee kicks in.

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the pics, but I'll go with AU55. Perhaps a thin layer of gold would bring out the details. ;)

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with 63.

11. Seattlite86

When I'm using a basic setup instead of my copy stand, I have the best luck capturing luster/toning when I take a slightly angled shot. I don't know if that helps.

12. Pickin and Grinin

So, I got a few better pics, that show the details of the coin I think. I have not shot many of this style slab. In fact I only have one other.
    hope this helps. IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3544.JPG

13. Seattlite86

Personally, I think you need more light on the coin. Are you using regular daylight or room lighting?

14. Pickin and Grinin

I am using to diffused white led's and an indirect fluorescent pointed at a white board. This nickel is extremely dark in hand. more light, changes the color. I will have to play with it some more.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

Okay... well I don't know what to say. The coin seems dull. Here's my V Nickel. It might be a bit overlit, but it makes it easier to see the coin.
    IMG_7798-horz.jpg

16. Pickin and Grinin

17. Seattlite86

18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Too few details for an MS designation IMO. I would lean towards AU 53-55.

19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

20. Paddy54

This date does tone more towards a darker surface. I'm going Au.55 on this one after the new images . It may grade higher but again these in the Au - low ms grades are plentiful . Still a nice looking coin is there a die crack that runs just behind the point of the bust throughout the date?

21. Pickin and Grinin

Nope, I probably got some dust on the slab.

This looks like an RPD, but let me see, if I can get a close up.
    Its been a busy week.
    I am so proud of My Son, His Team played, their hearts out today! 94 and two play off games.
    Resized_20170610_145152.jpeg
    My, Son bottom right, got the team Ball, " Heart of the team, in coaches words"
    They went 7-0!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted