Guess the Assigned Grade NGC 1945-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Apr 29, 2014.

?

Guess the assigned Grade!

1. MS65

12.5%
  2. MS65 5FS

9.4%
  3. MS66

28.1%
  4. MS66 5FS

31.3%
  5. MS67

9.4%
  6. MS67 5FS

9.4%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the assigned grade of the 1945-D Jefferson Nickel graded by NGC shown below and vote in the attached poll.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments and opinions welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Let me guess........they gave it a MS66 (No FS) because of the tiny marks on the chin and cheekbone.

Chris

4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Ms66, no full steps. There are just what appear to be too many breaks on step 3/4.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris. I wish the reverse blew up more, but sure does not look FS to me. I understand NGC is more lenient on this point, but I do not see almost any delineation on the right side of the steps.

Still, its a pretty nickel.

6. Lehigh96

Not sure why the photos are so small. Maybe this will help.

[​IMG]

7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

More lenient on what point? NGC is (much) stricter on Full Steps designation than PCGS. :confused:

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to say it got MS67. I'm not an expect with nickels, but what I have learned over the years is that NGC is much tougher on the FS issue, but weaker on overall grading. The coin is pretty clean, has excellent eye appeal and is wonderfully toned. It does have some marks...but I think the overall eye appeal and toning combined with NGC's looser overall grading of nickels, they gave it MS67.

9. cpm9ball

Maybe I should clarify my position. I (incorrectly?) placed my vote for MS67 5FS but I think NGC gave it a MS66 (No FS).

Chris

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Sorry, I must have gotten that backwards. That will teach an ancient collector to comment on slabs!

With the enlarged pic, I would say it should be 5 steps.

11. Lehigh96

Oh no, you ain't getting off that easy Chris. You voted MS67 5FS and I am holding you to it. Your subconscious thinks this coin is the bomb. Don't ignore your instincts!:woot:

12. cpm9ball

My subconscious thinks its a good thing this dummy (meaning me) doesn't collect Jeff's. I have a hard enough time just walking up and down steps on my own. Thinking about them 24/7 would drive me nuts.

I still don't think NGC gave it a 67, with or without steps. Maybe a ramp?

Chris

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

You know...now that you mention it. These "Full Steps" coins are a little discriminatory to people in wheelchairs. Have we considered that when we grade these pieces? :D

kookoox10 and green18 like this.
  14. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

MS 66 FS ...nice coin

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Maybe just your pictures, but I am not seeing the luster on that coin to go 67.

16. Lehigh96

Does this photo show the luster any better?

[​IMG]

17. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

18. cpm9ball

I think the luster looks fine, but I'll have to admit that Paul does seem to have an affinity for "pink dresses".

Chris;)

CamaroDMD likes this.
  19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Maybe a bit better, but I still don't see 67 luster. BTW, same picture tweaked a bit?

20. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Looks 66 no FS to me.

21. Lehigh96

Look closer, and you tell me.

Draft saved Draft deleted