Guess the Assigned Grade 1978-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 17, 2015.

?

Guess the NGC Assigned Grade

1. MS65

19.0%
  2. MS65*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS65 5FS

9.5%
  4. MS66

14.3%
  5. MS66*

4.8%
  6. MS66 5FS

33.3%
  7. MS67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS67*

4.8%
  9. MS67 5FS

14.3%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This will be the last of five guess the grades from my recent submission to NGC. Please view the photos below and vote in the attached poll. For uniformity, I will provide the same available grades for all 5 coins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Flow lines abound on the reverse of this gem......'67+

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Obverse looks very nice but the reverse appears to have a bunch of random marks which I'll attribute as bag marks.
    Certainly 65 and maybe 66.
    The lower step appears to merge with the one above it in the middle.
    I'd say "no" to FS.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I'm playing devil's advocate and gave it only MS-66 despite the fact it could go as high as 67 FS. It's a very nice coin but isn't early die state, has a little retained planchet marking, and weak steps in the center. Because of this I'm guessing they'll probably give it full step but limit the grade to 66. If it doesn't get FS it will get 67 probably.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's a beautiful coin but the die is a little past it. MS66 with 5FS.

10. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I see too much chatter on the chin/cheekbone and Monticello's portico.

I give it a straight MS65.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

66+ Full steps. Very clean coin. Could be a low in grade 67.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This one was disappointing to me. I was really hoping for MS67 5FS because I have about 5 more just like this one that I was going to submit. Now that this one got MS66 5FS, I don't know if it is worth it to send in the other coins. I think the luster held it back. I don't deal with modern Jeffersons much either, so perhaps they are more conservative on surface marks for the newer coins.

[​IMG]

Morgandude11 and green18 like this.
  13. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I was 1 for 5... Yikes! Nice nickels by the way.

14. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Fairly new member here, do lots of reading, thank you, everyone. I have been searching for info as to how to PM someone, in this case the OP. Thanks, in advance.
    Steve

15. green18

Click on his avatar, choose 'start a conversation'. Welcome to the forum Steve.......

16. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks, green18. I was afraid that option would result in a public post. At my age and technological expertise there is a fear of hitting the wrong button ;).

17. green18

I hear ya brother. :)

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I told you, the die is past it, it's too worked over. Technically, with the only criteria in MS being luster and contacts--i.e., as opposed to wear--I think that's every bit MS67 5FS. This is market grading. There's no "rule" MS67 has to have knock-your-socks-off luster. You want to question that, look at MS67s, every series, all across the board. This coin has enough for MS67. What hurts it is, the die is past it, deteriorating. See it most prominently on the reverse, showing as "wrinkles." That's why, for the money--i.e., which, of course, is all this market grading business is about, let's get our heads out of the sand--this is MS66 5FS.

Draft saved Draft deleted