Guess the Assigned Grade 1945-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, May 8, 2014.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade!

1. MS65

15.0%
  2. MS65 5FS

10.0%
  3. MS66

20.0%
  4. MS66 5FS

20.0%
  5. MS67

5.0%
  6. MS67 5FS

30.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the assigned grade of the 1945-D NGC7 graded Jefferson Nickel shown below. Please vote in the attached poll and tell me the reasons for your grade in your responses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Beautiful nickel, but some "chatter" on the brow, cheek and jaw. So, I said 65 with a bump up to 66 for eye appeal. Since you posted it, did they give it a 67 5FS?

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

65. The chatter on the cheek, brow, and ear are what I saw. It also didn't look like FS to me. The bottom step doesn't look like it was struck well enough. I'm not a Jefferson nickel guy so...ya.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I voted 65 (No FS!) because it looks worse than the last GTG.:eek:

Chris

6. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I voted 67 5fs. It looks to me like the "chatter" on the cheek and shoulder are planchet marks from the coin not being fully struck. Not hits. I don't really see any other marks in the fields. Tons of luster. The 5fs is borderline, but close.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

67 with a spot. I am guessing the spot pulled it down to a 66. Maybe, maybe not?

8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

What do you mean by "NGC7" in your post? That it's a generation 7 NGC holder?

In that case, the 5FS designation didn't exist at that time...only "FS" which was given for only 6FS.

9. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

My guess is that he forgot to delete the 7 on MS67. :shifty:

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Haha, if that's the case, then lame...ruins all the fun. :cigar:

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Didn't consider that!

12. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I was on the fence between 66 and 67. I went with my gut at 66, although the latter wouldn't surprise me.

Nice luster, nice color. No FS.

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to say it's a MS66 5FS. It looks to meed the definition of 5 FS, the bottom step isn't complete but it doesn't have to be. I'm feeling 66 on this coin, it just looks to have a little too many marks to make MS67. That said, I know NGC is a little looser than PCGS when it comes to overall grading...but I'm going to stick with MS66.

So...MS66 5 FS

14. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

15. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

MS 66, 5 FS

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Nice catch Brandon. That was not a typo, this coin was graded prior to the inception of the 5FS designation in 2004. And despite the fallacy that coins were graded so much stricter in the 90's, this coin graded MS67.

[​IMG]

I think the coin has a real good shot at 5FS and it will be going to NGC with my next submission. I think that those who guessed MS67 5FS will be proved correct in time.

Draft saved Draft deleted