Guess the Assigned Grade 1939-D Mercury Dime (NGC)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS64 FB

18.5%
  2. MS65 FB

48.1%
  3. MS66 FB

22.2%
  4. MS67 FB

3.7%
  5. Other

7.4%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the assigned grade of the 1939-D Mercury Dime shown below and cast your vote in the assigned poll.

[​IMG]

As always, comments and discussion welcome. If you choose a grade other than listed in the poll, please post your grade and the reason for that grade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

MS65 FB. Even from the small pictures, I can see the full rounded and split center bands! The luster looks great with no breaks. The reason I gave it a 65 and not higher is the mark across the cheek. It's just too distracting for a higher grade IMO. Again, without larger pictures, I might be missing something.

A beautiful coin.

4. chridular

chridular Member

I don't think I can add much more to what jpcienkus stated above. MS65 FB Great looking coin!

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd hate to hazard a guess as to what they said. As for me, I think everybody can guess what I'd say.

When it comes to grading, size matters. The smaller the coin the more that marks and their locations count against the grade. So even ignoring the luster breaks on the neck and central areas of the hair and wing edge and reverse fields, those sizable marks on the cheek bone jump out and slap you in the face. Add to that the subdued luster and what appears to be the remains of toning that was dipped away and is now an unsightly distraction, there's no way that coin should be graded a gem.

Other than the large marks on the cheek the coin is relatively clean with only a handful of other small contact marks. So I think it likely that the luster breaks were caused by the previous toning and subsequent dipping, and not light wear.

Just how I see it, and can't see it any other way.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That scar on the cheek bothers me. '64FB

7. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin! I'll guess MS66 FB

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I thought ms 65 FB

10. Lehigh96

I don't doubt that the coin was dipped but in hand the luster was not significantly impacted in a negative way. However, I think you have made a pretty good case for why the coin should be graded MS64FB. Personally, I grade it MS65FB but that is because you and I employ different grading standards.

I will reveal the grade of the coin after Thanksgiving. Happy Turkey day everybody.

11. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Like any other gem level coin, it comes down to luster and eye appeal moving from 65-66-67. That's hard to pick up from a picture.

12. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Honestly I can't see it any higher than 65. Yes the bands are full but there is a break in the luster on the obverse and the reverse. the mark on the cheek actually draws the eye to it, as does the mark over the M in Dime. Adding the small marks of the cross bands of the fasces and 65 looks like tops for this, although I would call it a pretty nice coin for a 39-D

13. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think the tpgs gave her a 64-FB . Though a 65 wouldn't surprise me . Nice coin Paul .

15. Soft Coins

Soft Coins Member

Who knows? It could be graded anywhere from mid-grade MS FB to higher.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  16. Lehigh96

Needless to say, I disagreed with the assigned grade.

[​IMG]

jallengomez likes this.
  17. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Interesting, how does one go about cleaning one side of the coin improperly without using a mechanical means. I assume they are talking about the smudge, luster break on the neck there. huh.

18. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

And between the L I and above the AW

19. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I have a Bust half that was in a slab , "reverse improperly cleaned" I couldn't see it either as it had decent cartwheel luster for an 1825 coin .

21. chridular

chridular Member

Well, I must say... I'm disappointed. Based on the pics I thought it looked, to me, like it was pretty good to grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted