Guess the Assigned Grade--1924 Standing Liberty Quarter--Bonus!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Dec 19, 2012.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. AU58

14.5%
  2. MS60

1.8%
  3. MS61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MS62

3.6%
  5. MS63

10.9%
  6. MS64

27.3%
  7. MS65

29.1%
  8. MS66

12.7%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the assigned grade by NGC in the attached poll.

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I guess MS64. The head does not quite look full to me, so no FH designation.

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 64. Not full head.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That stripe up the right leg looks like wear, not weak strike, to me, and I suppose the color change on the right breast could be wear as well. I've demonstrated my poor skill at grading from photos, though, so I'll be interested to see the actual grade.

Regardless, it's certainly a piece I'd be proud to own.

6. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

Nice!!! MS-65

7. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

I said 64 as well. :thumb:

Nice coin, even if it doesn't have a FH.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I guessed 65 because of the hit on the cheek and in the right field.

Could see a 64 too -- depending on how it looks in hand.

I would be surprised if it graded 63 or 66.

It may not have a FH, but everything else is hammered -- look at the shield! Lot of value in that coin, methinks.

What's the bonus?

9. Lehigh96

I knew I could count on you Mike. I will reveal the bonus when I reveal the grade. We have to wait at least 24 hours from the original post in order to give everyone a shot at it.

10. petro89

petro89 Member

I've never really done much grading of SLQ's, but I'll venture a guess. I'm torn between 63 and 64 but I'll say 63.

11. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I say 64, hit on the head not good for gem

12. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

3 little nicks will not drop it far. That has got to be at least a 65. From what I can see. luster is not a problem, so I go 66.

14. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Hmmm, I want to say 64, but I want to say AU58 too. I feel like I see some dullness/wear on the rev by the eagle's breast. I may be over analyzing it though (because of the wide poll range and the bonus!!!). If I could cheat I'd ask how's the luster. Imo it's been dipped, so maybe over-dipped and the luster's muted? Further interrogation :); is that a stain on the coin or slab (in-between United and States).

15. Lehigh96

It certainly has been dipped but I can promise that the dipping has not muted the remaining luster. The stain on the reverse is on the coin, and I have to admit that I never saw that until you pointed it out. It seems more apparent in the photo than it does in hand.

16. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

17. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

I also see an MS64. It's not the strongest strike I've seen on an SLQ, but man, that piece looks stunning. Hopefully it grades at least a 63.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ya know, I used to expect that I would live long enough to see the day that when a thread like this was posted the question would just be guess the grade. Not guess the assigned grade, or guess the grade with the same meaning implied. Sadly, I have given up on that idea.

But I am glad about one thing. The simple that such a question, when asked, is more often than not, asked in the way it is - asked to guess the assigned grade in other words. You see, asking to guess the assigned grade acknowledges the point that there are more than a few out there who would disagree with that "assigned" grade. Enough anyway that it is necessary to specify the difference when asking the question.

That - that makes me smile ;)

Oh yeah, my grade ? 58 of course. Given the condition of the coin, did you really expect anything different ?

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Ya never fail to disappoint, G. lol

20. Lehigh96

Doug, my use of the term guess the "assigned" grade is necessary because I want everyone to use the same grading standard which is NGC's grading standards. I phrase almost all of my GTG threads this way and have for years. And, on occasion, you have played along by giving us what you think the TPG graded the coin along with what you would have graded the coin using your own standards. In this case, I will assume that you believe that NGC graded the AU58 since you made no such distinction.

And I knew what your grade would be before I even posted the thread.

PS: you forgot to vote in the poll!

21. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Very nice coin - I think NGC called this a MS62 . IMO there are enough disturbances on the reverse for them to give it that grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted