Guess the Assigned Grade--1887 Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS62

15.6%
  2. MS63

18.8%
  3. MS64

25.0%
  4. MS65

18.8%
  5. MS66

12.5%
  6. MS67

9.4%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the assigned NGC grade of this 1887 Morgan Dollar in the poll above. Please respond to the thread and provide your grade of the coin if it differs from the TPG assigned grade and your reasons why.

My guess is that only one person will get this one right. Have fun

[​IMG][​IMG]

:smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

AU 55 becausse of the wear onn the bird and the hair, not the coin is very very clean.

Ruben

4. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

awesome coin!!!! sweet toneing!!

5. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

I was at MS63 but the closer I look the more I think MS65. See, you have the flat spot on the hair but the book I have right here says that 87s come weakly struck, so that makes sense. Besides, if it was worn enough to flatten the hair there's no way the eagle's breast would be that sharp.

I think I see some luster loss on the cheek but can't be sure from the pics, there is that hit on the cheek but it has decent toning, granted toned on the reverse not the obverse but it is still toned. Fields on the obverse look very clean, but it's a typical weak strike (Although how much that hurts an 1887 I can't say) but that mark on her cheek is pretty obvious.

Am I close?

6. $incere

$incere New Member

Also MS-63, Nice toning

7. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I would give it an Ms65 the focal areas are not that bad not to many bag marks no distraction there. The obverse is pretty clean for a morgan good fields not that many bag marks the eye appeal is nice the obverse toning is not the greatest ,but unique like all toned coins the strike is nice.

Jazzcoins Joe:smile

8. jon26

jon26 Junior Member

The grade is in the eye of the beholder.Thanks

9. Half Dollar*

Half Dollar* Numismaniac

I bet NGC gave it a MS65. The strike is a little weak and a couple of the marks on the obverse are noticeable, but overall it looks pretty clean. The toning is not the best, but it's not the worst either.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

64 here, because of the cheek.

11. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

My quess would be MS-63 due to what looks like a bag mark on the Breast of the Reverse and a noticable distraction on the Nose, Cheek and Neck of the Obverse.

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

13. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

No cheating on this forum

Joe

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That hair above the ear looks pretty weak to me. If that's not specific to the series, I'll call this a circulated coin, give it an AU-58. If that is a typical strike, I see this as a borderline gem, give it a MS-64 with one of those little stars and, what the hell, put a CAC sticker on it.

15. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

62. Hair is a bit flat above the ear and the wing tips look a bit worse for ware. More importantly, are you going to tell us what it actually is this time? So many times on these we guess a hundred times and the op never reveals what the actual slab grade was.
    Guy~

16. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I just noticed a big crater in the morgan i didn't see that before I jump my grade down to MS62
    Jazzcoins Joe

Attached Files:

17. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I said MS65.

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You mean like this one 1887-S (courtesy of Heritage)

Attached Files:

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

In my mind's eye, it stayed at 63.4

I'm probably all wrong but I started at a 62.5 on the obverse because of the cheek. I figured it should easily go 63 because it's got the luster, decent eye appeal, & originality. The obverse just didn't go to 64 for me. Of course that cheek rub could make it go either + or - depending upon the photograph.

The reverse initially struck me as 64+ but it wasn't enough to change my mind about the money side of the coin. Therefore I stuck at 63.

It happens that the coin's reverse toning doesn't ring my bell. I took a second look at the coin trying to recognize that just because I don't like a particular look of a coin, I shouldn't let it affect the grade opinion. After this reality check, the reverse looked like it might go 65. I still couldn't go to 64 on the coin. In my mind's eye, it stayed at 63.4

Sorry for the long dissertation. I hope the TPG said 63.

Very best regards,
    collect89

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Looks like a liner 64/65 coin to me.

I guessed 64, but wouldn't be surprised if NGC gave it a bump to 65 for the color.

21. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

I see it as 64. Has a chance at having grade 65 though.

Draft saved Draft deleted