GTG x 2: 3C & H10C

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all! All opinions welcome! Thank you!

1865 3C (two pics included of reverse...3rd picture shows what I believe is a die clash, not a scratch, on the reverse of the 3 cent coin):

IMG_8524.JPG
    IMG_8526.JPG
    IMG_8528.JPG

1858 H10C:

IMG_8541.JPG
    IMG_8538.JPG

Paddy54 and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

63 but but 58 would not shock me
    VF details scratched.

ddddd likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm really digging that clash on the 3 cent piece! :)

ddddd and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The 3 cent nickel 3rd image shows the profile of the obv. Liberty face.
    Not a scratch . These are very common clashes on this series . I'll go 63 on that coin. That coin also shows a clash on the obv. Under Liberty's chin it's the Roman numeral l from the reverse . Also very common to find the clash here on this series .
    As for the H-10 I'm between a xf. And a low Au. From your images.

ddddd and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm a little more optimistic than Paddy about the H10C - I expect more shield wear visible for XF and am at AU55 for it - but otherwise in complete agreement

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

MS63 for the 3 cent and VF30 on the half dime. Not much if any luster left. The inside of the obverse stars are flat and the reverse leaves are missing 3/4 of their detail.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  8. Paddy54

1865 III Obv. Clash of III Obv.-crop.jpg 1865 Obv.Clash III Rev.-crop.jpg

9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

58 & 50
    Final answer

Tim Lackie Jr and ddddd like this.
  10. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

64 and 58

ddddd likes this.
  11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

58 on that 3 center . Love that die clash too .
    53 .

12. Paddy54

@ddddd could you post a better image of the obv. 3 cent piece? Maybe it's the image but what are the shadows next to the 8 and 5 in the date?

ddddd likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

I think it's the photo. Are these any better:
    IMG_8556.JPG
    IMG_8557.JPG

14. Paddy54

You are probably correct on the shadows being from the plastic or photo. If you look at the specimen I posted there is clashes in the date from the ribbon on the wreath on the reverse . Thanks for taking the effort to honor my request.
    These two are nice looking coins both series I myself collect. Some nice clashes on the H-10 also obv.

ddddd likes this.
  15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm in for MS63 on the 3 cent and the H10c I'd say AU50 on it.

ddddd likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Well here are the answers....personally, I think the 3 cent coin could go higher, but I'm keeping it in the holder as is. The H10C likely has some damage. Maybe I'll add it in to an Anacs submission if I decide to take up one of those special offers they run.

IMG_8522.JPG
    IMG_8523.JPG
    IMG_8532.JPG
    IMG_8533.JPG

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

Personally I would leave both in the holders they are in. The 3 cent piece is at least a grade higher. As for the H-10 I see clashes if that's what they are calling damage ,however I not having the coin in hand from your images it's hard to say.

Now that I enlarged the obv. Image on the H 10 I see the damage on her legs.
    At first all I saw was the clashes .

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Pretty cool that this GTG half dime got between VF and high AU guesses, lol.

19. Paddy54

Well I will have to say the images were not that great to make a call unless you enlarged them. That tends to distort them. I didn't see the scratches on her knees until this morning when I did enlarge the image.
    If you were judging the coin from the image and using the high points ie Liberty and the shield then yes it looked like a Au coin on the obv. But even with the images as they were you could see the flatness of the leaves on the wreath .
    As a collector of H-10 's I would buy this specimen as I kind of like the color as well as its clashes .
    I personally don't think it would get graded without a detailed grade.
    That said there's plenty of meat on the bone to leave it as is in the PCI holder. This date is also a common date with the mintage . So it's not like you couldn't find another specimen without the damage .
    Both coins are nice examples , that I would leave as is in their slabs.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's the PCI holder from their best years; I believe their opinion of the surfaces in these holders. Still think it's undergraded, though. :)

21. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Nice Early Anacs holder!
    @Insider was just touting how plenty O dealers have gotten straight grades outta the PCI red holders..... Wonder what his colorful commentation would be for this one....
    If he hasn't been banned since he commented last :troll:

Draft saved Draft deleted