GtG poll: Capped Bust half, 1834 (large date, small letters)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 13, 2017.

?

Guess the grade

1. XF40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. XF45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. AU50

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. AU53

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. AU55

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. AU58

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. MS60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. "Details" grade (problem coin) - explain why you think so

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

CircCam and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Oooh. Tricky. :)

O-105, I think. Not the best of strikes or freshest of dies, so the potential for deception abounds. :)

I'm calling it AU55 in the slab; in-hand, I might not think it circulated at all. The surfaces are unoriginal to my mind (understanding one set of images isn't enough to be sure), but I wouldn't be surprised if PCGS calls it original.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe I'm seeing some wear around the ear and above the eye. Otherwise it would appear to be an uncirculated coin with no significant marks.
    Thus I'll go with AU 58

6. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

it is off center on the reverse a little and perhaps it was cleaned and its a small date. The ribbon should end on the right at the M it stops at the A

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    eddiespin likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Mid-AU and looks cleaned

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It's a decent coin, but it doesn't have enough luster for the condition. In my book, this is an AU53, but it's likely that PCGS graded it higher.

9. lordmarcovan

FWIW, I myself voted 53, at least on details alone, pretending I was seeing the coin for the first time and didn't know the slab grade.

We don't have 25 poll votes yet so I'll wait a bit longer to post the actual plastic grade or details (which may or may not be AU53). Maybe later tonight.

This coin is coming my way in an even swap for one of the non-US coins in my "Eclectic Box" collection. I have been looking for an AU Bust half for a while. This one is whiter than I wanted - I was after an AU50-55 with subtle pastel toning - but since this was offered as a swap I decided that it might just work for me, due to its positive attributes.

More on these thought processes later.

I have yet to see it in hand. Hope there's more luster when I see it then.

I do think it was likely dipped but is market-acceptable. The pictures might be just a tad "hot" (i.e., slightly overexposed).

10. CircCam

CircCam Victory

The luster looks pretty darn good to me, especially the reverse.

Nice coin!

I keep hearing about "over-exposed" photos lately and need to research more what this means in a coin image. :bored::bookworm:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I voted AU-53. I think it straight graded.

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Nice and lustrous, with obvious wear. Just enough of the luster is gone to warrant AU-55.

However, this coin has been recently dipped. I would pass on that meansure.

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm at 55 on this one nice coin Rob. :)

14. lordmarcovan

Now it's time for the reveal.

[​IMG]

And here's the "shadowbox" image, to ready the coin for inclusion in my "Eclectic Box". I'll probably "flip" it later, but in the meantime, it's welcome in my collection for a little while.

[​IMG]

Thanks as ever before for the digital wizardry of @Deacon Ray, who not only did the "shadowbox" template for me, but also edited out the slab prongs from the image. (I didn't even ask him to do that, since I object less to PCGS's discreet, clear prongs as opposed to NGC's more intrusive white ones that stick out over the coins more.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    ddddd, Paddy54 and CircCam like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

As I understand it (and I'm no photographer by any means), "overexposed" refers to something that's too brightly lit, if I've got the term right.

CircCam likes this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Wear but great luster. AU53.

17. lordmarcovan

BTW, below is the coin which I just swapped for this Bust half in the OP. Normally this nice Mint State 1723 British shilling would appeal to me more than the Bust half. Still does, in many ways. But I think the swap was pretty equitable. And the Bust half, being of a popular classic US type, in PCGS plastic, with a CAC "bean", will likely be much easier to "flip" in the short term, the next time I want to swap into something different for my collection.

The recently-traded-off coin:

Great Britain: silver "South Sea Company" shilling of George I, 1723
    [​IMG]
    (PCGS MS63+, formerly NGC MS64)

C-B-D likes this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

1830's dated Capped Bust Halves in AU55 went from sales of $450-$550 down to $350-$450 over the past couple years. I auctioned a PCGS AU55 1832 on eBay about a year ago and it sold for...... $310. No CAC sticker, though.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I guessed AU55, but thought 53 was a possibility if "net graded" for a dip.

20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

What a shame. I think you lost out on that deal. (No offense...) :(

21. lordmarcovan

No offense taken. It was a calculated move, and from a historical and aesthetic standpoint, it does look rather misguided in some ways. I certainly wouldn't expect my "Darksider" friends to understand it (and most of the time I'd agree with them - and you.) But time will tell whether I'm "crazy like a fox" or just plain old crazy.

I still think that for the money I had tied up in the shilling, I'll find it easier to flip the Bust half. In the meantime, I'll keep it in my "Eclectic Box", as mentioned.

My trade partner also felt there was an imbalance and said he's also sending me a nice (holey) gift coin for my hat, so we'll see what that is. No matter what it is, it'll be fun. And if I lose on this deal, I'll chalk it up as tuition.

ddddd, C-B-D and TypeCoin971793 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted