GTG on a new gold toner

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Sep 5, 2016.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Just picked this beauty up. Yes, it looks like it has a scratch, but yes, it straight graded. In the seller pics you cannot even see the scratch, so my guess is it is not really visible to the naked eye. These Trueview pics show EVERYTHING, including the beautiful color! Any guesses on the grade?
    81453677_maxreverse.jpg
    81453677_maxedit.jpg

BadThad, jester3681 and charlietig like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

66?

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

MS63? I wonder if her face had an unfortunate date with a staple... Pretty toning though!

6. jwitten

That would be my guess. I am a little surprised they straight graded it, which maybe makes me think in hand it is not that bad.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm at 63 as well.

You have not seen it in hand yet? Did the seller submit it for you?

9. jwitten

I have not seen it in hand yet. I have seen the seller pics, and looked up the trueview pics since it was already graded in a secure holder. I could not see any scratch in their pictures. Honestly, even if I can see a light scratch, I think I did ok price wise with the overall look of the coin.

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Gotcha.. I hope it's just accentuated by the light. You should know soon enough. Congrat's on another beauty..

jwitten likes this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Tuffy. I'll go against the grain and say 58

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Given that they straight graded it, I'm seeing a 65 that got dinged to 64 for the scratch. Final answer: 64.

14. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I'm feeling MS62 - scratch on a high focal area is enough for a two point drop from a technical MS64 otherwise.

15. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

58 if straight graded

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

17. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

AU58 for me

18. jwitten

Congrats to those who said AU58!! It appears VERY nice for the grade (to me), other than the scratch. I wonder how much that effected grading?

Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

:shame:

The scratch I'm guessing is light and didn't effect the outcome really. Its the slight rub above the ear, the chin, the lower neck line and the eagles neck and leg feathers mixed with the few scattered marks that tell of slight circulation rather than bag hits

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    jwitten likes this.
  20. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In this case, it didn't affect it at all. A scratch, in and of itself, cannot drop a grade from MS to AU. A scratch is either judged severe enough to make the coin ungradeable or it isn't severe enough to do that.

Yes, a scratch can lower an MS grade, like from a 64 to 63, or a 65 to a 64. But even for the TPGs the only thing that differentiates an AU from an MS is wear. Contact marks, scratches, hairlines - none of that stuff can ever drop a coin from MS to AU. The one and only thing that can do that is wear.

Kentucky and jwitten like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted