GTG! My Gold Coins are back!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dan Galbato, Nov 29, 2023.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

I checked my work and didn't too well :oops:
    Maybe it was PCGS that was wrong :p
    ...I was thinking cleaned on the third one but gave the benefit of doubt to those being die polish marks instead of hairlines from a cleaning....the first two I would not have expected cleaned based on the image

Dan Galbato likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

with their magnifying equipment I can see the light scratches on the 1896s that I didn’t see before. I can’t see much on the others but I’m not the expert.

David Betts, SensibleSal66 and ddddd like this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

It is just tough for any coin to survive that pristine. I am not good at telling cleaned either. I usually go for the "crusty" looking ones when given a chance, you know the ones that look a little darker and kind of hazier when buying raw. I think I believe that just makes it more probable they are more original. I am always leery of 100 year old bright, shiny coins by default, regardless of metal.

Mainebill and Dan Galbato like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My thought too........

ddddd and Dan Galbato like this.
  6. medoraman

Eh, I think they are beautiful coins sir. I would be proud to have such coins in my collection and to enjoy regardless of what slabbing services say.

Sometimes I just shake my head on what the US market has evolved into, what they tolerate versus what they don't. Makes no sense when viewed from an ancient collector's perspective.

7. Dan Galbato

I understand your approach when buying coins but wear and abuse is just as important. When I bought these I was looking at the lack of abuse and the decent condition they appeared to be in. Cleaned was not taken into consideration.

8. rte

rte Well-Known Member

It's easy his painting skills are well somewhat thin :p well transparent, could use a second coat.
    Nice gold, I'd like to get a 1908 someday but not really sure what the draw is... It must have been a good year.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    Dan Galbato likes this.
  9. Dan Galbato

My head is about to fall off from all the shaking! Lol. Yes, as someone who is collecting only to pass his collection on to loved ones, the fact that collectors turn their noses in the air when coins have been slabbed and labeled as cleaned is frustrating!
    I think my coins are in superb condition but at $2040 per oz, collectors will pass on these if offered. Unfortunately, l think these are going to be turned into one oz bars.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys clean everything Chris......:) (devil)

Dan Galbato likes this.
  11. Dan Galbato

Green, why anyone would want a coin with gum, tar, snot, dirt or slime on it is a mystery

Mainebill and green18 like this.
  12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

UNC details.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  13. medoraman

Heck yeah we do, it it needs it. I have always been scared, though, to touch my avatar with the little bit of dark junk on her left shoulder. It was the only well struck, perfectly centered Irene I could find for less than $8k, and being gold am simply afraid of making it worst.

@Dan Galbato I seriously doubt those coins would ever become bars. Not all US collectors give a rip what the TPGs think when it comes to coins in their collection.

14. Dan Galbato

Yeah, you’re probably right! For now!

15. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I agree. The third one definitely looks cleaned, but not the first two.

ddddd and Dan Galbato like this.
  16. Dan Galbato

yes I agree but the results are in! If I was a stubborn old coot, I’d send one to NCG and the other to ANACS to see if the grades change. lol!

17. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Have you considered ICG? There's a discount for CT members I've heard.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  18. Dan Galbato

I haven’t considered ICG but will look into the service. Thanks for the heads up!

Draft saved Draft deleted