GTG Matte Proof Lincoln #6

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is all about what you would grade the coin. I'll be posting 10 different Matte Proofs over the next week or two. They are all in early holders from the following services.
    NGC, PCGS, ANACS and PCI.

I took these to the last Fun Show with two things in mind. I had Todd image them and was going to crack them all and hand them to PCGS for grading. After talking with a few friends at the show, I decided to wait on messing with a change in holder.

Please let me know what you think about the image sizes. I had a hard time deciding what size was best for most. All opinions are welcome. Have fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BadThad likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I was going to say 66BN until I saw the spot on Lincolns face.

Not sure.

MKent likes this.
  4. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

The image size is excellent, showing all the detail without any need to enlarge it. As far as color I'm going with brown because that's what it looks like on my monitor as it appears to even for to be RB, although the luster on the obverse photo could be in part of red coloring. While it looks like there is a hit in front of the forehead and maybe a little rim chatter at 12 and possibly 3, along with two tiny black spots (probably not even visible without magnification) on the cheek and side burn, the reverse seems almost perfect. I would have no problem calling this PR66BN or even PR66RB if I could see it live. I figure if you were wanting to cross it over to PCGS it must be at 65. Really nice coin I love the color and look of this beauty.

5. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

66BN.
    This is making me want an MPL.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Wait till I post the 1916:)

7. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

The 1916 is my favorite, there was a nice one on GC last week.

This looks cleaned to me, but they seem to turn a blind eye to that with MPL's. I'll say 64 RB.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I will guess 65, but something about that color looks cleaned.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  9. robec

robec Junior Member

I'll say 65BN. I also love your 1916........they don't come much prettier than that.

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Haven't I been trying to buy that 1916 for at least a decade?:eek:

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm with RLM & Carboni . . . color looks wrong to me . . . A Details coin, I fear.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Maybe longer than that. When the day comes, you will still get first shot at it.

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

65RB - but the color in these photos looks weird.

17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

65+ BN. 66 on a good day. The color seems like you've caught it in that "awkward phase," between RB and a nice, chocolate BN.

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The old PCI slabs were not kind to copper. I have several that turned brown. This one gets cracked. A 65 grade is possible but I'll be happy at 64BN.

20. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

The only proofs I've ever seen in PCI slabs were graded PR70 Cameo they must've hated that one.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

PCI was a different company with different owners back in those days. They were not all that bad and were really tough on some series. I have had great results cracking the early 10 digit slabs. They have a long history. The brand was killed in later years. You can't put 70 on everything and hold respect.

Draft saved Draft deleted