GTG Matte Proof Lincoln #4

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is all about what you would grade the coin. I'll be posting 10 different Matte Proofs over the next week or two. They are all in early holders from the following services.
    NGC, PCGS, ANACS and PCI.

I took these to the last Fun Show with two things in mind. I had Todd image them and was going to crack them all and hand them to PCGS for grading. After talking with a few friends at the show, I decided to wait on messing with a change in holder.

Please let me know what you think about the image sizes. I had a hard time deciding what size was best for most. All opinions are welcome. Have fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BadThad likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Let me be the first to say it's ugly. No way around that.:bigtears:

MKent likes this.
  4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

63 That one actually looks pretty clean to me, but eye appeal also counts as does color variance.

5. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I'm stumped. I have to admit, the spot in front of Lincoln's nose and mouth really kill the coin for me, more so than the fingerprint.
    62? 63?

6. robec

robec Junior Member

7. gijoe76

gijoe76 A Penny Saved is a Penny earned

If the grade was based on just the strike itself I would give it a 65BN. Not sure how much the obverse spot affects the overall grade

8. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Personally, 63 BN, but I agree with @gijoe76. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in a higher grade holder due to toning over time, or because the TPG didn't weight the toning as high as some of us seem to be doing.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Is that Abe's fingerprint?

11. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

I'll go 64 BN. It's probably less noticeable in hand.

12. gijoe76

gijoe76 A Penny Saved is a Penny earned

After rereading your post I might actually go with a PCI 66 or 67 BN

13. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

From some angles it's really pretty but it is what it is. I don't remember it having the print when I bought it. It's been to long. I agree with 62 only because the reverse helped a bit.

[​IMG]

15. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

I stand with Bob on this one, I say 63BN. Maybe when you submitted it the fingerprint wasn't evident. Some of those old green labels did cause a lot of toning and it's possible that the label interacted with the oils from the fingerprint to turn the coin into what it is today.

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Funky toning and a lot of marks and scratches on obverse my call was pr 62 bn

17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That fingerprint kills it. I was going to guess 63BN, but I'd only pay a 62 price.

Draft saved Draft deleted